Linux: date field correct, time field is not

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
SteveH_66

Linux: date field correct, time field is not

Post by SteveH_66 »

I am using a Linux live CD and it comes with Libre Office already on it. Whenever I insert a date field, it puts in the correct date. But, when I put in the time field, it is off by 5 hours, so 10:30 AM gets inserted as 3:30 PM in the document. I can't figure this out, as the system time is set correctly and is showing correctly in the upper right on the display bar or whatever it is. Is there a setting in Libre Office or Open Office that can get changed which might be causing this problem?

By the way, I already checked the field itself, and the "Offset in Minutes" box in the fields popup window is set to 0 so I don't think this could be it.

Is it maybe a problem with Linux Live CD's in general? I wouldn't think so, since as I said the time is set correctly when I am using it, and also the date IS inserting correctly when I use the date field. Thanks
Libre Office (ver: 4.2.3.3 in Linux) (ver: 4.2.8.2 in Windows 7 Home Premium)
RoryOF

Re: Linux: date field correct, time field is not

Post by RoryOF »

I'd suggest changing the offset to (say) 60 minutes and seeing if the value changes. Then set the offset back to 0 and see does all come right. Sometimes in Open/LibreOffice settings can be sticky, for reasons not understood, and the cure is to change them and change them back.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

It sounds like a miscommunication between local time (US Eastern) and GMT/UTC.

I don't know why it would affect OO and not other applications; perhaps the distribution has some way of coordinating settings that OO/LO doesn't know about?

This tends to come up more with dual-boot systems and live CDs that share theh hardware with another OS like Windows that expects the hardware clock to be set to local time, where Linux expects it to be set to GMT/UTC.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I checked on my computer (set to UTC/GMT) and the inserted time is correct.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS