Installing open office in AIX machines

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
mnuthan1

Installing open office in AIX machines

Post by mnuthan1 »

Hi,
Is it possible to install openoffice in IBM AIX machines, if its possible please guide me in installing it. we are in the process of migrating our application from debian linux to AIX, we need to install open office to support all existing applications.
OOo 2.3.X on Linux-Other + AIX
ccornell
Volunteer

Re: installing open office in AIX machines

Post by ccornell »

As far as I know, there is no active work being done on an AIX port. It is mentioned on the Porting page here:
http://porting.openoffice.org/
and that links you to an Issuezilla report here:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=13620
which is Closed as of 19 May 2005 with last real activity on 28 June 2003.

So... although it is technically possible to port OpenOffice.org to AIX, it appears that no one is currently working on it - at least not as part of the OpenOffice.org Porting project.

My guess on the process you would need to follow would be to read through the bug report linked above, and then grab the OpenOffice.org source and try compiling it. Observe what goes wrong, see if you can develop patches for it, and submit the patches back to the OpenOffice.org Porting project. It won't as simple as running an installer, but... with some persistence and AIX knowledge it should be possible.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
mnuthan1

compiling open openoffice document conversion java program

Post by mnuthan1 »

Hi,
we have open office server installed in windows and we want to invoke this open office server from AIX machine (AIX doesn't have any open office installed). I have copied all open office related jar files into AIX machine, added them into class path. still I am not able to compile the conversion code in AIX.
can't we compile open office code with our open office being installed, and also is it possible to connect to windows open office server from AIX ..?
OOo 2.3.X on Linux-Other + AIX
sybille
Volunteer

Post by sybille »

Here's another issue, opened today, that may be useful:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=91234
If your problem has been solved, please edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line. Thanks!
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
Zotero, for research and bibliography management with OOo.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + None needed :)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

mnuthan1, I've merged your second topic in that one because it's basically the same issue. Note that posting in the Code Snippets forum was not a so good idea (had you seen that forum rules in red???).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10