Duplex Printing Problems OpenOffice 4.1.1

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
tronayne

Duplex Printing Problems OpenOffice 4.1.1

Post by tronayne »

I'm running OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Slackware 14.1 64-bit (stable) with an HP Officejet Pro 8600, hplip-3.14.10-x86_64-1. I cannot get OpenOffice (Writer or Calc) to duplex print although every other printing I do does print duplex. I have tried setting duplex on in individual documents (with file -> printer settings) with no luck, it just won't do it. For example, printing a manual page with man -t page | lp works just fine (thus, I'm pretty sure that the problem is isolated to OpenOffice).

There must be some config file somewhere or something that will default OpenOffice to duplex or just set an individual document to duplex but I've been unable to locate anything that will work (even logged in and running OpenOffice as root). I have reviewed posts that discuss this problem (most of which are about LibreOffice and are two years old).

Is there any hope? Is there any way?
RoryOF

Re: Duplex Printing Problems OpenOffice 4.1.1

Post by RoryOF »

I don't waste my time fiddling with this - I simply set my printer defaults to Duplex in CUPS before printing Duplex. Ditto for single sided.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tronayne

Post by tronayne »

The printer defaults are set in CUPS to Letter AutoDuplex 8.5x11in, Long Edge (Standard). I select a document, set the properties (in which the duplexer is turned off no matter what) to duplex and long edge and print and the thing prints single-side. Every other thing I print is duplex; e.g., manual pages, text documents, program listings, you name it -- only OO over rides the printer settings (which I've done in it, too) and resets itself on the fly to single side.

Danged annoying when you're printing a 50 page document if you know what I mean.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've no problems printing Duplex. With OpenOffice closed I've set my printer using CUPS 1.7.2 to A4 paper, Long edge (my default setting for prnter). I then started OpenOffice (Mote: OpenOffice only detects printer at its startup), made a two page file and printed. I did not need to set printer properties (but I checked them just to see) - these were set to Duplex long edge - and the document printed duplex.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS