[Solved] Java Installed, Cannot Add to JRE List

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
White Phoenix

[Solved] Java Installed, Cannot Add to JRE List

Post by White Phoenix »

What am I doing wrong? I installed Java into /opt/java/32/jre1.7.0_67/ but AOO says it does not contain a valid JRE. I followed the instructions to install Java and I installed the 32 bit version for AOO to use. I even changed the permission of the java folder and its contents from root to me. It didn’t work with the permission as root which is why I changed it.

I installed Java before and it worked, but I can’t remember where I got those instructions, but the instructions I found this time were from the Linux Mint Forums, so they should be correct, shouldn’t they?
Last edited by White Phoenix on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
RoryOF

Re: Java Installed, Cannot Add to JRE List

Post by RoryOF »

Have you rebooted computer since installing Java? You should install 64 bit Java for OpenOffice on 64bit Linux. 32 bit Java is for when OO is running on 64 bit Windows. Other than that all versions of OO, operating system and installed Java should have the same bitness.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Only the Windows version of OpenOffice is still 32 bit. Why does that not surprise me?

I just rebooted and tried the 64 bit folder. AOO still complains that it is not a valid JRE. I downloaded the latest version of Java from Oracle. The instructions from the Mint forums stated that LibreOffice needs openjdk that comes with Mint. Is this true for AOO as well?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just checked - I have openjdk-7-jre and icedtea-7-jre-jamvm (and associated files) installed on my Xubuntu64 14.04. All is working well.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Which is really strange since the reason I used Oracle Java before was because it was advised to use it instead of IcedTea or OpenJava for some reason which I cannot remember. I can’t remember whether it referred specifically to OpenOffice or not. I do remember that when I did install Oracle Java, everything was fine. I should have copied those instructions for future reference like I usually do, but that’s the way it goes.

Oh well, unless I come across it again and the argument is compelling, I will simply use OpenJava.
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Java Installed, Cannot Add to JRE List

Post by RoryOF »

http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html
says
The current versions of Apache OpenOffice work reliably with a variety of JREs including Oracle Java, versions 6 and 7 and openJDK, versions 6 and 7. Feel free to download a JRE from either of these sites if you feel you need this functionality.
White Phoenix

Re: [Solved] Java Installed, Cannot Add to JRE List

Post by White Phoenix »

Well, after switching to OpenJDK, AOO detected it on its own. I must have done something wrong in the installation of Oracle Java. Unless I have a reason to re-install it, and I know the instructions are correct, I will use OpenJDK alone. OpenJDK also has the advantage of being automatically updated, where Oracle Java has to be manually updated.