[Solved] Cannot install OpenOffice 4.1.1

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
BertilRoos

[Solved] Cannot install OpenOffice 4.1.1

Post by BertilRoos »

At the installation of OpenOffice4.1.1-64bit (on Linux-Ubuntu14.04 with removed LibreOffice) I am warned that the installation file is corrupt by the message:
Lintian check results: for /home-bertil/openoffice4.1.1-9775_all.deb:
E: openoffice-debian menues: control-file-has-bad-permissions postinst 0775!=0775
" " " " " " " " " " postrm " "
and the same with ....................postprerm
E: openoffice-debian menues:maintainer-addressmissing Apache Software Foundation.

When I force the installation to continue it starts but fails with (among other info):

dpkg: error processing archive/home/l-bertil/openoffice4.1-debianmenues_4.1.1-9775_all.deb (--install): trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice' which is also in package libreoffice-common 1:4.2.6.3 - Oubuntu1
Errors were encountered while processing:
(no mor text was displayed)

I have uninstalled all (i knew) libreoffice programs before I started the installation.

(I have Windows 7 installed on this computer too. On another computer with Windows 7 I had no problems to install OO4.1.1)

Can you help and give me advice how to fix this problem with installation of OO4.1.1 on Linux-Ubunt14.04

Best regard / Bertil Roos
Issue 125676
Comment 1 oooforum 2014-09-26 08:06:09 UTC
Which exactly version of Ubuntu 14.04: 32 or 64bit?

You are in wrong place here. This is a bug tracking system not a helpdesk.

If you are some trouble to install AOO, please post directly to our end-user forum:
https://forum.openoffice.org
You will find other users to help you.
Open Office on Ubuntu14.04, 64bit
RoryOF

Re: Cannot install OpenOffice4.1.1

Post by RoryOF »

I use Synaptic to remove libreoffice-core then I install using the method set out in
[Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux

I have used this method to install on Ubuntu and Xubuntu from v8 to 14.04.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems that there is still a LibO package installed.
Have you tried sudo apt-get purge libreoffice* (you may have also to sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get autoclean)?

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BertilRoos

Post by BertilRoos »

Solved!
First I have reinstalled Ubuntu14.04, then I used the 'purge' command to eliminate all LibreOffice-files.
Dowonloaded '....install-deb_sv.tar.gz' file and performed extraction and got SV-map and sub-map DEBS.
Then I unpacked the files in DEBS with the Terminal-prog. with cmd 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb' and then the same cmd
on the file in the maå 'desktop-integration'. And then, voila, all AOO-files were created.
It is still curious that the 'normal' way to make the installation didn't work.
For a friend of mine, it worked on one computer but not in another (he had 32-bit processors).
Thanks a lot for your advice, I am a beginner and was glad to get a start to solve the problem.
Open Office on Ubuntu14.04, 64bit