[Solved] Installed A_OpenOffice, not running

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
jaxjoe

[Solved] Installed A_OpenOffice, not running

Post by jaxjoe »

Gents

Sorry ... can't get text to enter on SUBJECT line:

Hardware: Xeon/MSI_gd55/NV660/24G Crucial ram : running GNOME Metacity-flashback under UBUNTU_14.04.

In short I have downloaded and installed APACHE_Openoffice_4.1 from sourceforge using the CLI. Excepting typos the dload and install process was without incident ; all files and directories seem to show up and at-the-end A_OO programs all appear on my UBUNTU/GNOME GUI menu. But, those programs will not run! When I *CLICK* any program name I get a taskbar message
"starting open office" ... which message lasts for a few seconds and then goes away. No program starts. No error message is presented. Nothing.

Any clue will be appreciated.
Last edited by RoryOF on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick. [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.0 on Ubuntu 12.04
RoryOF

Re: Installed A_OpenOffice, but programs will not run

Post by RoryOF »

Try opening a terminal and type "openoffice4" (no quotes). Does the terminal give any diagnostics?
 Edit: OO 4 certainly works for me on Xubuntu 14.04 and did also on Ubuntu 14.04 (which I don't like). 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jaxjoe

Post by jaxjoe »

RORYOF:

Yes, in response to terminal input : "openoffice4" (no quotes) I get:

/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/openoffice4/program/libsvxcore.so: undefined symbol: _ZThn1192_NK18SvHeaderTabListBox11GetRowCountEv
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My immediate reaction is that you should uninstall OpenOffice (sudo apt-get purge openoffice*) and then install using the usual method - unpack the downloaded file (usually goes to en-GB) and then in a terminal go to that folder and do the following

Code: Select all

cd DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
I suspect that the libsvxcore.so file may be an older version - this is only a guess.
jaxjoe

Post by jaxjoe »

RORYOF:

Sadly it seems impossible to download a *.deb version of A_OO. Still waiting , but not optimistic. I discovered *.rpm versions only when choosing mirrow_sites. **BTW** I believed I WAS using a std. method of dloading & installing A_OO for UBUNTU. Onlt the **wgets** from source.forge was different from your script.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Of course there are deb packages. Look at the dropdowns on
http://www.openoffice.org/download
Download packages.png
jaxjoe

Post by jaxjoe »

RORYOF:

Wooo-hooo! A_OO downloaded and running. Thanks a ton; you nailed it. I was scr*wing-up by allowing NOSCRIPT to block the APACHE-site download , and when I gave temp permissions the *.deb came tumbling into my download directory. One detail ... I needed to GOTO ~/en-US/DEB to find the *.debs. Thanks so much for your patience and prompt help.