Fonts for Xubuntu

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
gordon99

Fonts for Xubuntu

Post by gordon99 »

I have been using OO for a few years in Windows 7. I recently installed Xubuntu XFCE4 on a separate partition and have within it installed OO v.4.1.0. Also, I have brought documents over to Xbuntu from Windows. Within one set of documents I always use the font 'Lucida Console'. This font seems to be missing within the Xubuntu setup and when I open the particular documents, in Xubuntu, that were written within Windows using the L.C font, they spill over onto extra pages.
Could some helpful person kindly tell me if it is possible to install OO fonts in Xubuntu that are available in Windows 7, particularly Lucida Console. If the answer is in the affirmative how does one go about finding and installing them in OO on Xubuntu. You may have already grasped that I do not understand if running Apache OO in Xubuntu will be any different from running it in Windows or if the fonts available within the two operating systems are different.
Open Office 4.1.0 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Fonts for Xubuntu

Post by RoryOF »

Google for ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.5_all.deb and vistafonts-installer; these will install most of the standard MS fonts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

I don't think Lucida is a free font, so technically it would be possible, but the legal position is a different matter. See:

viewtopic.php?t=36747

On my Linux machine I can install a font by opening it with Font Viewer and clicking the install button.
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Normally, it’s enough to copy font files to /usr/share/fonts/truetype (for TrueType fonts, obviously). And restart X Windows.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It doesn't hurt on linux to rebuild the font cache by

Code: Select all

sudo fc-cache -f -v
Ubuntu/Debian syntax. Modify as appropriate for other distros.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS