[Solved] rpm: Command not recognized

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
White Phoenix

[Solved] rpm: Command not recognized

Post by White Phoenix »

I typed

Code: Select all

sudo rpm -Uvh *.rpm
and Linux Mint told me that rpm was not recognized.

Is there another command special for Mint that I need to use?

I am using Linux Mint 17 Kernal Linux 3.13.0-24-generic MATE 1.8.0 and it keeps dropping the Wi-Fi connection every few minutes.
Last edited by White Phoenix on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: rpm: Command not recognized

Post by Bill »

I haven't used Linux lately, but Mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian. It uses a different package manager with different commands. Try searching the forum for Debian install.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

To install from RPMs, I use:

rpm -ivh *.rpm
To update:

rpm -Fvh *.rpm
But I use openSUSE. And, as mentioned, Mint is a DEB distro. Thus, you should download a DEB package, not RPM and use your distro’s package manager.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

esperantisto wrote:Mint is a DEB distro. Thus, you should download a DEB package, not RPM and use your distro’s package manager.
You know, I wondered about that. I had been downloading DEB files whenever possible, but I saw that it was a RPM instead. Apparently, when I downloaded earlier this year I didn’t notice and just downloaded what showed up in the box. For some reason, I didn’t have any issues installing, but this time I was following instructions.

Thanks guys for pointing out the error.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.