[Solved] Installing and running OpenOffice4.1.0

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
factgasm

[Solved] Installing and running OpenOffice4.1.0

Post by factgasm »

At the moment I'm having to use Linux out of necessity rather than choice. I'd like to tell you that it's a thrilling experience, but sadly that's not the case.

I've been trying to find the DEB Installation Guide for OpenOffice 4.1. There doesn't appear to be one, so I'm using the closest one I can find, which is 4.0.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... stallation

Unfortunately those instructions leave a lot to be desired:

Code: Select all

1. su to root, if necessary, and navigate to Apache OpenOffice installation directory.
You will likely need to be root to run the dpkg command to install the software.
It would be nice to make clear to the user:
(1) That they should have downloaded the file of their choice by this point (I did this using Firefox),
(2) Whether they should have extracted the file or not (say using Archive Manager)?
(3) Whether the process of installing the software is going to be through the command line or GUI.

Ok, I think I understand the 'su to root' bit. I think you're trying to say this process is going to be command line, but should I have extracted/unpacked the file already or will we do it in the next few steps?

2. cd into the DEBS subdirectory of the installation directory. You should see a lot of debs here and one sub-directory called "desktop-integration".

3. Install this new version by typing sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Just a moment. I changed to the DEBS subdirectory as you said and I saw a sub-directory called "desktop-integration". That's encouraging. But hang on, you're now telling me to execute the command 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'. That's fine, I can type that at the command line, but which folder should I be in to do that? The root folder, the 'desktop-integration' subfolder, which?

By default, this will install Apache OpenOffice in your /opt directory. Alternatively, you can use a GUI package installer, reference the installation directory, and install all debs at the top level. This may also aid you in determining any dependency problems if they exist.
dependency problems? That doesn't exactly instil confidence. I wouldn't have a clue what to do if that happened.Fingers crossed it doesn't.

4. Install the desktop integration features for your setup.
cd to desktop-integration in the installation directory, and, depending on your package manager/system, install the appropriate desktop interface using dpkg. 
Sorry, is 'Install the desktop integration features for your setup.' meant to be a heading or a separate instruction from the line below it?

You say I need to use dpkg to install the appropriate desktop interface. What would be the code for that? sudo dpkg something-or-other, I guess?

Even assuming I executed 'dpkg' correctly, do I automatically get a desktop icon to click? Does OpenOffice get added to my desktop menus? What happens? Can you tell us what to expect?

5. Finally, start up Apache OpenOffice 4.0.0 to insure it's working.
Er . . . ? If you didn't get any desktop icons or items in you desktop menus, does that mean its not working? Or might it be working, but you have to type something at the command line and if so what's the code?
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick.[RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice4.1 on Kali Linux
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Installing and running OpenOffice4.1.0

Post by Bill »

There's a tutorial in the Forum's tutorial section that might answer your questions. It's been a few years since I installed AOO/OOo on Linux.

[Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It's a few simple lines on Debian/Ubuntu distros
Download the file
Use Archive Manager to open it and extract it to a folder.
Open a terminal
cd to the folder
when in the folder cd DEBS to change into the DEBS folder
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb (once again!)
now close your terminal and look in the Office group; you should find OpenOffice there.

Remember that in linux command case is important.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
factgasm

Post by factgasm »

Thanks to both Bill and RoryOF. OpenOffice is now successfully installed. If only the official guidance was as clear and succinct as yours!

Regards, fg.
OpenOffice4.1 on Kali Linux
djl47

Re: [Solved] Installing and running OpenOffice4.1.0

Post by djl47 »

I assure you that the ambigious instructions made perfect sense to the experienced Linux user who wrote them. This is a common problem with technical documentation often written by people skilled in the applications they are documenting.
Times like this I like to remember that Google is my friend and that Wikipedia has every Unix command documented including su While these are not exhaustive resources they do provide a place to start. I have dug up lots of tips and answers with these two resources.

Important safety tip: # means you are root and that the equivalent of a loaded gun is pointed at your folders. Exit root mode with the exit command as soon as you are done, even if you plan on trying something different in a few minutes.
[root@localhost /]# exit
exit
[djl@localhost ~]$
Libre Office 4.3.5.2 - Fedora 21 HP G72 Laptop / Windows 8.1 x64 HP Pavilion x2 "Laptablet" / Libre Office 4.2.8.2 - Linux Fedora 20 x64 - HP G72 Laptop