Back to LO

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
djl47

Back to LO

Post by djl47 »

I dumped Apache Open Office on my Linux Fedora 20 system tonight. I am disappointed. I've been using Open Office since version two, maybe earlier than that. I tried Libre Office when it first came out but had faith that Apache produce a better product. The Windows product has always worked fine for me.
AOO was unusable on Fedora 20 for me. The bjorked scroll bar and the extreme latency in typing made Calc unusable. I'll see if I can fix the broken spell check in Libre Office (Assuming it doesn't have other serious problems.) I hope I'm still welcome here.

PS Fedora makes the Libre Office install about as painless as possible with the yum command. I am impressed with that.

Update: Scroll bar in Libre Office works fine and it passed my first test of keyboard latency. The spell check problem seems to have fixed itself. If I double click on the flagged word, then right click I get suggestions. This was freshly downloaded from the Fedora site so it may contain some fixes that were not in the live image I originally installed.
Libre Office 4.3.5.2 - Fedora 21 HP G72 Laptop / Windows 8.1 x64 HP Pavilion x2 "Laptablet" / Libre Office 4.2.8.2 - Linux Fedora 20 x64 - HP G72 Laptop
RoryOF

Re: Back to LO

Post by RoryOF »

If you wish, you can edit your theme to change the scrollbar appearance. This note, while for a different distro, may give you some pointers.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1518
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS