Access network drive in Linux

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
sjgoldborough

Access network drive in Linux

Post by sjgoldborough »

I installed Open Office 4.01 from the Apache website, on Linux Mint Olivia Xfce edition. The problem is that Open Office doesn't plug into the Xfce file manager for open and save commands, it uses its own file search which doesn't go anywhere north or west of the / directory.

I have a Network Attached Storage (Western Digital) mounted by a manual line in fstab (mount.cifs //192.168.0.102/Public /media/Livebook), but I don't know how to access any files there. "Approved" apps. like gedit can do it. Only openoffice work-around seems to be to use Xfce file manager to move files back and forth from the desktop and from the NAS so I can work on them.

Would be glad of any help.
OpenOffice 4.01 Linux Mint Olivia Xfce edition
RoryOF

Re: Access network drive in Linux

Post by RoryOF »

From memory, you have to manoeuvre OpenOffice to the mount point.
 Edit: Sometimes the mount point may be Hidden and you will need to either note the full path or enable viewing of the hidden files/folders 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sjgoldborough

Post by sjgoldborough »

I have solved my own problem, you have to navigate via the /media directory, works for this problem and for finding USB sticks too... a little counter-intuitive though
sjgoldborough

Post by sjgoldborough »

thnaks Rory
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The built-in file dialogs work perfectly well with all kinds of mounted drives (given that you know where to go).
There is a setting under Tools>Options>OpenOffice>General. OpenOffice may work with Thunar or not. I prefer the OpenOffice dialogs because they provide all the availlable options.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice