[Solved] Extension Manager doesn't respond

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
al.adab

[Solved] Extension Manager doesn't respond

Post by al.adab »

Hello everyone,

I'm using OO.org 2.4.1 on Linux Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04. I'm not using the version provided with the Ubuntu installation CD: I replaced it with that found at http://openoffice.bouncer.osuosl.org...&version=2.4.0 and updated to 2.4.1, as I understood it's a good idea to have OO always updated.

The Extension Manager (OpenOffice.org Writer>Tools>Extension Manager) doesn't respond when I click on it. It worked in the version provided by Ubuntu. Initially I thought something went wrong with my installation, so I re-installed it (after cleaning up). It still doesn't respond. Nor it does if I right-click on (for instance) ccooo.oxt and choose "Open with Office...Extension Manager".

I checked OpenOffice.org Writer>Options>Java (if it matters at all) and "Java Options>Use a Java Runtime environment" is ticked. In the list, I see "Sun Microsystems Inc 1.6.0_06" (ticked) and "Sun Microsystems Inc 1.6.0 with accessibility" (unticked).

Can anyone tell me what's wrong/what I should to to fix this? At the moment I can't upload any extension...

Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
OOo 2.4.X on PCLinuxOS
sybille
Volunteer

Re: Extension Manager doesn't respond

Post by sybille »

I don't know that this will help, but since you've switched versions of OOo, it might be worthwhile to rename your user profile directory and let the version of OOo you're using now create a new one.

In Ubuntu, your user profile is in a hidden directory in your user's home directory. First, exit from the OOo quickstarter if it is running in your panel. In the file manager (Nautilus), select View -> Show Hidden Files. Then look for the folder named "openoffice.org2." That's what you want to rename. Then restart OOo and see if it is now possible to install extensions.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line. Thanks!
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
Zotero, for research and bibliography management with OOo.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + None needed :)
al.adab

Post by al.adab »

thanks sybille but...I can't understand what you're suggesting exactly. Plz consider that I'm new to Linux. I couldn't find the folder "openoffice.org2" anywhere. This is what I tried: Home Folder>Computer>Search>Nautilus. There is a "File Management" folder sitting there, and if I double-click on it, I get a "File Management Preferences" window. I clicked on "Show hidden and back-up files", but the "openoffice.org2" was not anywhere to be seen...I then searched directly for "openoffice.org2." and I found two folders named "openoffice.org 2.4": they are both locked, and one of them has got an arrow on the top (like it's a copy or something)...once I found the folder, what name shall I give to it? Thanks again.
OOo 2.4.X on PCLinuxOS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Open Nautilus, hit CTRL+H to show hidden files. You should see a lot more items in the window. Amongst the folders (top of the list), you should see something like .openoffice.org2 (note the period before the name telling the system that the folder is hidden). Rename that folder and launch again OOo.

NB: I've installed extensions yesterday with my 2.4 version with my Xubuntu box so the problem is with your configuration (I doubt the 2.4.1 is bugged for that). To install the official version, have you followed that process: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
al.adab

Post by al.adab »

Thanks both. It works now. Appreciated :)
OOo 2.4.X on PCLinuxOS