[Solved] Where do en_us.oxt and dict-en.oxt go in OOo4kids?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
jimwg

[Solved] Where do en_us.oxt and dict-en.oxt go in OOo4kids?

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

I'm running OOo4Kids 1.1.3 in PuppyPrecise 5.7 very well but I have no spell dictionary. As per OOo user suggestions I downloaded en_us.oxt and dict-en.oxt and stuck them every uno_package folder I could find but nothing appears in the Language Setting Writing Aids available modules panel. I just need a road map where to place them. Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.2 XP
RoryOF

Re: Where do en_us.oxt and dict-en.oxt go in OOo4kids?

Post by RoryOF »

Normally in OpenOffice and its derivatives, dictionares are installed by selecting /Tools /Extension manager, pressing the Add button and pointing to the dictionary (.oxt file). I don't know if OOo4Kids differs, but the above path and method is worth trying.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

Thanks for swift reply!

No Extension manager. Unfortunately Ooo4Kids lacks those kinds of features. :(

Jim in NYC
OOo 3.2 XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On my Xubuntu system dict-en.oxt lives in /opt/openoffice4/share/extensions/install/. If I remember I'll check location under Windows tomorrow. I don't know yet what registry modifications it might need.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

OOo4Kids does have an extensions manager, but it's only available in the splash window - close all open files and then try the Tools menu again.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

floris v wrote:OOo4Kids does have an extensions manager, but it's only available in the splash window - close all open files and then try the Tools menu again.
Floris, that worked! Thanks -- and thanks to all of you early responders.

Just one quickie without having to open a chronically redundant new topic. I have the Canadian Eng Diict and Theasurus combo up on the extension manager panel as well (because there's no separate US Theasurus) but it's menu icon is ghosted. I reinstalled it and no go. I'm not sure whether how or to do the profile fix thing because I'm in Linux not Windows. Any hints? Thanks!

Jim in NYC
OOo 3.2 XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On my Xubuntu my current User Profile is at

Code: Select all

/home/<username>/.openoffice/4/user/

In one's home directory in the file manager (Nautilus or Thunar, usually) one has to type Ctrl H to see the hidden OpenOffice directory ("hidden" because of the leading ".", which is _not_ a typo!)). The same command turns off viewing of hidden files.