Locales

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
hortimech

Locales

Post by hortimech »

Just a quick question, should installing Openoffice have any effect on the locale installed on the computer?
Just installed an update on Ubuntu 8.04 which took off my linux locales. My gut feeling is that this an Ubuntu problem, but thought I would ask here.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Locales

Post by Villeroy »

hortimech wrote:Just a quick question, should installing Openoffice have any effect on the locale installed on the computer?
Just installed an update on Ubuntu 8.04 which took off my linux locales. My gut feeling is that this an Ubuntu problem, but thought I would ask here.
Almost certainly not. OOo tries to adjust it's own locale to the system's one unless another locale is set explicitly. However, the Ubuntu build of OpenOffice.org has a bad reputation. They seem to add more bugs than features to the office.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
hortimech

Post by hortimech »

Thanks, just what I thought
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can try the official version if you want: [Tutorial] Installing OOo on Ubuntu, Debian and Co.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
hortimech

Post by hortimech »

I tried that, but Ubuntu still wants parts of their version of OpenOffice to re-install locales. I would have thought that a program would require the installed locales, not the otherway round as Ubuntu does.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I'm playing with Hardy and I have indeed some packages of the Ubuntu version of OOo installed with an update. But I don't see why it should impact the locales. Do you mean that it has removed some of them?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
hortimech

Post by hortimech »

it took the following files off:
language-support-en language-support-translations-en
openoffice.org-help-en-gb openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb-za

I am still trying to understand why I had the one ending in za, I have never even been to South Africa :D