Install on PCLOS64

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
dougmack

Install on PCLOS64

Post by dougmack »

Running new "final" release of PCLinuxOS64-kde,just installed. Downloaded the rpm.tar.gz, and unpacked it. Changed directory to the en-US-RPMS, and then did rpm -Uvh *.rpm, which I hope created all the
OO programs I need. I can find a whole batch of OO stuff now in Synaptic, checked as installed, but I can't find much of anything in the FileFind GUI, and I don't see any entries in the PC menu.
Where are the files, and what do I need to do to get these apps onto my screen and usable?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 in PCLinuxOs64
Hagar Delest

Re: Install on PCLOS64

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Don't you have a desktop-integration sub-folder with packages to be installed too?

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
dougmack

Post by dougmack »

No, I don't even know what you mean. I download into the Downloads directory. When I ran rhe OO rpm, it created a subdirctory called en-US-RPMS, and I then ran the de-rpmer, as I stated. I don't know where the un-rpmed
files are, except that they show up in Synaptic as installed. Installed where? I don't know. I must confess that I ran into a similar but not quite the same problem when I installed OO to my laptop some 6 months or more ago.
I don't remember at this time just how everything went down, but the program now works on that machine.
So, I am still totally in the dark. Someone please tell me what to do next.
Thanx--doug
OpenOffice 3.4.1 in PCLinuxOs64
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Using Synaptic under Ubuntu, the OpenOffice files unpack into a directory en-US (replace US with the correct national language abbreviation) containing (inter alia) a directory DEBS. This in turn contains a directory desktop-integration. One has to change to the Debs directory, then run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
then change to desktop-integration directory and again run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
which sets up the links to the OpenOffice components in the Office group.

How this needs to be changed for RPM archives I cannot say.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

You have to run the appropriate rpm in the 'desktop-integration' subfolder of the directory containing the RPMS. There are 3 steps:
1. Extract the rpms from the downloaded file. You seem to have done that.
2. Run the rpms in the RPMS folder. You seem to have done that also.
3. Run the appropriate rpm in the 'desktop-integration' subfolder. [I have always moved the appropriate rpm to the main RPMS folder and run it at the same time as the other rpms.]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux