OOo headless install on server without admin rights

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
primux

OOo headless install on server without admin rights

Post by primux »

Hello everyone,

I need to install OOo on a server we're getting from godaddy so I can use the libraries/macros to convert .docx files to .pdf. I can't seem to find any good information on how to install n a shared hosting server without admin rights. I just need to be able to run the code here (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1401 ... -using-php) so that I can convert to pdf. I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but the information I'm finding is mentioning installing .rpms, which I know just hold binaries in a directory structure that are unzipped in the root dir of the server, so I don't think that will work.

Thanks in advance everybody, :)
-Primux
Openoffice 3.1 Linux
hol.sten
Volunteer

Re: OOo headless install on server without admin rights

Post by hol.sten »

primux wrote:I can't seem to find any good information on how to install n a shared hosting server without admin rights.
I too never read a post about installing OOo headless without admin rights.
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
primux

Post by primux »

Might it be possible to explode the RPM into the non-web accessible folder I've access to on the server & manually define the location of the libs?
Openoffice 3.1 Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is possible to change the server password on a Linux machine, even if that password is not known to you, which would allow you to install wth full admin rights. You can find details of this on some of the Linux support groups.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hol.sten
Volunteer

Post by hol.sten »

RoryOF wrote:It is possible to change the server password on a Linux machine, even if that password is not known to you
On a shared hosting server, as it is the task here? Really? Don't you need physical access a Linux machine to change an unknown root password?
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
RGB

Post by RGB »

primux wrote:Might it be possible to explode the RPM into the non-web accessible folder I've access to on the server & manually define the location of the libs?
Yes. To unpack AOO rpm's see here: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux#Parallel installations
RoryOF wrote:It is possible to change the server password on a Linux machine, even if that password is not known to you, which would allow you to install wth full admin rights. You can find details of this on some of the Linux support groups.
:?: On 10+ years of using Linux, I've never heard of that. I mean, not without physical access to the server.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
primux

Post by primux »

It is possible to change the server password on a Linux machine, even if that password is not known to you, which would allow you to install wth full admin rights. You can find details of this on some of the Linux support groups.
It is indeed impossible to change the root password on the server without physical access. In order to change it you'd need to boot to some other media, mount the device with /etc on it, then modify /etc/shadow and remove the password hash in order to clear it, then you could log in as root, run passwd, and then set a password, but not only can I not do that due to lack of physical access, but it would be a *HUGE* violation of the terms of service to which I agreed.
Yes. To unpack AOO rpm's see here: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux#Parallel installations
Thank you. I've yet to check the link, but it seems like you know what you're talking about and I'm sure this is what I need. Again, thank you.
Openoffice 3.1 Linux