Safe re LibreOffice updates when running OpenOffice?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
John Catt

Safe re LibreOffice updates when running OpenOffice?

Post by John Catt »

My wife likes stable systems and so chose to remain with OpenOffice rather than take the standard option with Ubuntu and move to LibreOffice. I removed LibreOffice before installing OpenOffice in Ubuntu 12.04 (long term release). However the updater still wants to bring in things such as libreoffice.common.

Is it safe to accept these and do we need to update OpenOffice separately (and if so how)?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
AOO 3.4.X on Ubuntu 12.04
RoryOF

Re: Safe re Libre Office updates when running OpenOffice?

Post by RoryOF »

I've used Synaptic to remove libreoffice-core; I then installed Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 from the downloaded file from www.openoffice.org and _never_ had any problem with System Updates trying to reinstall LibreOffice on any of my Ubuntu computers.

On my Fuduntu system I had to enter a line in yum.conf to bar any updates - details in
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2 ... -hat-rhel/
(note: this installation method needed a bit of fine tuning where I had to rewrite some of the command lines to sort out paths and break multiple commands up into single commands).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Safe re LibreOffice updates when running OpenOffice?

Post by kingfisher »

You cannot (or at least should not) update AOO with LO updates; they are different software packages.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Re: Safe re LibreOffice updates when running OpenOffice?

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1. Just removes all the LibreOffice packages with Synaptic.
NB: if you want to install LO in parallel with AOO, use the deb packages from their respective websites.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10