[Solved] Problem when clicking on OpenOffice in menu

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
chris144

[Solved] Problem when clicking on OpenOffice in menu

Post by chris144 »

Hi I am using Ubuntu 12.4 and have used
sudo apt-get install openoffice
to install openoffice.
It appears to have worked because if i type office into Dash Home I get 8 openoffice apps showing. However if i click on any of them Das home closes and nothing happens.

In the command window if i type soffice I get the following message:

/usr/bin/soffice: 84: /usr/bin/soffice: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/pagein: not found
/usr/bin/soffice: 1: /usr/bin/soffice: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/ure-link/bin/javaldx: not found
/usr/bin/soffice: 120: /usr/bin/soffice: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: not found

Please advise what I have done wrong and how I can fix it

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Ubuntu Apache Openoffice 3.4
RoryOF

Re: problem when clicking on Office in menu

Post by RoryOF »

Normally installing OpenOffice from the Ubuntu repositories actually installs LibreOffice. I uninstall all traces of Libreoffice using synaptic or

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core01
then I install AOO 3.4.1 using the download from the AOO download site. I use the method outlined in the tutorial

Turorial: installing OpenOffice on Ubuntu and Debian
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: problem when clicking on Office in menu

Post by Villeroy »

Ubuntu comes with LibreOffice 3.5 which should be installed on your system already. OpenOffice is not in the official Ubuntu repositories. Both applications are almost identical. LibreOffice has a few extra features. Normally you would not notice any difference between OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
You can have both applications on the same machine without conflict. But then you download the debian packages from the OpenOffice page, install them manually and start OpenOffice from a desktop link.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
chris144

Re: Problem when clicking on OpenOffice in menu

Post by chris144 »

Thank you for your support.

I removed openoffice and libre office
Downloaded the DEB package from openoffice.org download page and reinstalled as per the instructions.

It now works properly.

Thank you.
Ubuntu Apache Openoffice 3.4