[Solved] Trying to install OOo 3.3.0 on Fedora 16

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
rknox

[Solved] Trying to install OOo 3.3.0 on Fedora 16

Post by rknox »

I have open office 3.2.1 on my fedora 14 machine and love it - I am considering upgrading to fedora 16. I have fedora 16 on my wifes computer. It came with libre - which I dont want to use since there is a new learning curve and Im very well up to speed on open office.
So I am trying to make sure I can install open office on her fedora 16 system befoire i pull the fedora 14 rug out from under my machine.
I dpwnloaded oo 3.3.o to her system, did the su thing and tried to install
It quit and told me that the install failed becuse verious libre routines held the spots that corresponding to openoffice routines should hold.

should i use yum or something else to remove libre? if i do should open office install correctly?

from the install

Package Name: openoffice.org-ure-1.7.0-9567.i586.rpm
rpm --upgrade --ignoresize -vh --relocate /opt=//opt
"/home/knox/Downloads/OOO330_m20_native_packed-1_en-US.9567/RPMS/openoffice.org-ure-1.7.0-9567.i586.rpm"
Returns: 1 Error during installation
error: Failed dependencies:
openoffice.org-ure 1:3.3.1 is obsoleted by (installed) libreoffice-ure-1:3.4.5.2-12.fc16.i686

Package Name: ooobasis3.3-core01-3.3.0-9567.i586.rpm
etc

Post Script - I discovered that libre and openoffice are identical - please excuse th eposting
openoffice 3.3.0 on linux fedora 16
RoryOF

Re: [solved]trying to install oo 3.3.0 on fedora 16

Post by RoryOF »

To be picky: their functionality and their code is _largely_ but not _exactly_ identical.

Experience on other distros of linux shows that it is best to remove every trace of the other distro before installing a different distro. This is best done using the built-in application package (yast and synaptic are the two usual) and the key package is libreoffice-core (openoffice-core), which pulls (in Ubuntu case, can't say about Fedora) the other significant packages with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rknox

Re: [Solved] Trying to install OOo 3.3.0 on Fedora 16

Post by rknox »

Rory - thanks. I'll move some of my files to my wifes fedora 16/libre computer and play with them on libre. Have done 2 and so far looks good

Dick
openoffice 3.3.0 on linux fedora 16
colins2

Post by colins2 »

I have just installed OOo3.4 on my Fedora 16 installation and had quite a trying time getting rid of the LibreOffice packages and libraries. This was essential to get the OOo 3.4 installation to run.
OpenOffice now runs but I have lost a lot of system utilities from the Fedora installation, including Firefox for some reason?
Things like Disk manager and system utilities are just not there any more.
I am not at home now and will be unable to check for a month or so but is LibreOffice really that much woven into the Fedora distribution?
I don't want to re-install Fedora if I can help it, at least before 17 is released.

Colin
OOo 3.4.X on Fedora 16: OOo 3.3.X on WindowsXP
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

It is possible, I suppose, that other applications depended on LO files. Do you get no indication of dependent packages when you remove one?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
colins2

Post by colins2 »

Hi,
Yes a list came up but it wasn't very explanatory (to me). Maybe to a Linux guru though. Certainly there was no warnings about uninstalling Firefox! I still can't fathom out how that happened.
Initially, trying to run the installation script gave the message that one of the libraries that OOo3.4 was trying to install was obsolete and that a newer version was installed by LibreOffice. Once I got rid of the main LibreOffice packages I got an error about Lib-ure or something like that. I had to dig around with the software install program and then found more LibreOffice stuff. I uninstalled that and then was able to install OOo3.4.

I didn't really have much time to check everything apart from ascertaining that the main OO packages worked. I also noticed that Firefox was gone and that I couldn't access the system setup from the top menu bar. The program icons had also been removed from the 'Applications' panel.

I won't have access to my machine now until next month when I will try to sort it all out again.
OOo 3.4.X on Fedora 16: OOo 3.3.X on WindowsXP