[Solved] Much of the UI is transparent

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
PenguinLust

[Solved] Much of the UI is transparent

Post by PenguinLust »

I'm trying to run LibreOffice Writer but the menu bar has overlapping text, and a lot of the UI appears transparent, like much of the drop-down menus, the dialogues and the tooltips. I tried Googling this issue, but am surprised that I seem to be the only one w/this problem.
I'm running openSUSE 11.4 64-bit and LO 3.4.5
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice 3.4.5 on openSUSE 11.4 64-bit
RoryOF

Re: Much of the UI is transparent

Post by RoryOF »

This is possibly to do with whatever theme and font you have selected for your GUI display. Try changing settings under /Tools /Options/ OpenOffice.org :View.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PenguinLust

Post by PenguinLust »

I don't know. Maybe. I tried going there, but it's difficult to see what I'm setting. I tried changing something from "Oxygen" to "Galaxy" to "High Contrast" to "Crystal". It seems to have some kind of affect, but no kind of improvement.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This may be an interaction between your Operating system GUI/Font and OpenOffice. Here is the screen referred to in my previous post (from an Ubuntu installation). I would suggest you set your LibreOffice settings to these, and then tried changing your GUI settings under openSUSE until your screens settle down to legible. Then you can tweak slowly for whatever effect you want.
Screenshot-Options - OpenOffice.org - View.png
PenguinLust

Post by PenguinLust »

I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I've tried to mimic your settings, but I can't tell if a checkbox is clicked and I don't have "Tango".
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There are some openSUSE using volunteers on this Forum. Best wait for one to come on-line to this thread. You could try the universal OpenOffice/LibreOffice fix and delete your User Profile. A new profile is generated on next start-up, which uses default values.
Tutorial: the User Profile
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

PenguinLust wrote:I'm trying to run LibreOffice Writer but the menu bar has overlapping text, and a lot of the UI appears transparent, like much of the drop-down menus, the dialogues and the tooltips. I tried Googling this issue, but am surprised that I seem to be the only one w/this problem.
I'm running openSUSE 11.4 64-bit and LO 3.4.5
Could we see a snapshot of the problems (there are two) and also of the Options panel mentioned by Rory?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RGB

Post by RGB »

Which desktop are you using? LibO included on openSUSE installs a KDE "integration" that tends to work horribly wrong. If you use KDE, go to YaST2 and uninstall any LibO package with "KDE" on its name: believe it or not, installing the gnome counterpart will give you better KDE integration, specially if you use oxygen or qtcurve as widget style...

Or simply completely uninstall openSUSE's version of LibO and go for the official one.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
PenguinLust

Post by PenguinLust »

I tried deleting the config files. It didn't make a difference.
As you can see from the screenshot, you're seeing a lot of what my desktop looks like, including The Gimp's screetshot dialogue, and a bit of Rory's post, and not what Writer should look like.
I'm using KDE. I looked for LibO and it isn't installed. In fact, when I look through the packages available on the repositories I have configured, I don't see any LibO, although there are a ton that begin with "libo". I went through the web site looking for an official LibO but searches for "libo" turn up nothing for me.
Attachments
Screetshot of my problem
Screetshot of my problem
RGB

Post by RGB »

Sorry for not being clear enough: LibO refers to LibreOffice. The package you can try to uninstall are libreoffice-kde and libreoffice-kde4, installing libreoffice-gnome instead: LibO will lost the KDE file picker, but everything else will work far better.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

PenguinLust

Post by PenguinLust »

Ah, ok. Yes, removing the kde4 component did it. Thanks.
Is it supposed to be this buggy, though? It didn't take me long to hit upon one: I was trying to Paste Special... but nothing happened. I had to close the app and reopen it.
RGB

Re: [Solved] Much of the UI is transparent

Post by RGB »

PenguinLust wrote:Is it supposed to be this buggy, though? It didn't take me long to hit upon one: I was trying to Paste Special... but nothing happened. I had to close the app and reopen it.
openSUSE is a great distro, by far my favourite, but they always made a big mess with OOo, and now with LibO packages it is not any better. Thus my advice is to completely uninstall the openSUSE's packages for LibO and install the official ones, from the project webpage. Or you can wait a couple of weeks: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 will be released soon :)

dlochrin

Re: [Solved] Much of the UI is transparent

Post by dlochrin »

RGB wrote:Sorry for not being clear enough: LibO refers to LibreOffice. The package you can try to uninstall are libreoffice-kde and libreoffice-kde4, installing libreoffice-gnome instead: LibO will lost the KDE file picker, but everything else will work far better.
I struck this problem again when I recently upgraded LibO.

With OpenSuSE 11.4 and LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 it seems ~both~ packages libobasis4.3-kde-integration and libobasis4.3-gnome-integration must be uninstalled. But everything still works fine as far as I can see thus far, including file-selection menus.

The problem seems to be that LibO popups are not always cleanly displayed until forcibly re‑written, for example by dragging them slightly or restoring a window over a popup then parking it again.

David
OpenOffice 2.0.4 on SuSE 10.1, now LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 on SuSE 11.4