Mandriva 2008 Spring: KDE's Klipper crashing OpenOffice.org

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
ArtificePrime

Mandriva 2008 Spring: KDE's Klipper crashing OpenOffice.org

Post by ArtificePrime »

Using: KDE 3.5.9, Klipper 0.9.7; OpenOffice.org 2.4.0.4

Attempting to add (or modify) a caption to an image in Writer would continuously crash OOo with an "Unknown Error". It took a while, but I finally noticed that whenever OOo's crash dialogue came up Klipper's icon would disappear from the tray. After clicking "OK" on OOo's dialogue, Klipper would reappear. Disabling Klipper prevents OOo from crashing.

I'm fairly certain the conflict is in the new OOo since my Mandriva 2008.0 box (KDE 3.5.7, Klipper 0.9.7; OpenOffice.org 2.2.1) doesn't exhibit these symptoms while running the same version of Klipper.

A quick google showed that Ubuntu users were having a similar problem back in 2006 with KDE 3.3.4 and OOo 2.0.1, but I couldn't find any indication others are experience this issue now. Is it just me?

This post is a duplicate of one I made to the Madriva Community forums, but I thought an upstream copy might be useful to both communities. The original can be found here.

Thank you for your time and attention.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: Mandriva 2008 Spring: KDE's Klipper crashing OpenOffice.org

Post by AndrewZ »

This BBS is not really a place to report bugs. Developers don't read posts here. Please do this:

You are using a modified version of OpenOffice.org, so test it with the vanilla edition from www.openoffice.org. If the problem persists, report it to http://qa.openoffice.org. Otherwise, report the bug to the Mandriva bug tracker.

Either way, post the bug link here for others to reference. Thanks.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I use Klipper with the Sun build of version 2.4.0. I have never had any reason to think there is a conflict.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
ArtificePrime

Post by ArtificePrime »

AndrewZ wrote:This BBS is not really a place to report bugs. Developers don't read posts here.
I apologise if I've crossed a forum rule (or if cross-posting between communities is in poor taste). I did read the Survival Guide before posting, and my intention was not to post a formal bug report; rather it was to share that I'm having an issue with my setup, that I'd found a workaround, and that I was curious if anyone else was having a similar issue. Surely that is within the spirit and mandate of this BBS?

In case I learn my issue is unique either to my distro or only this particular machine I won't start littering QA sites with unwarranted bug reports.

I have discovered something new: I have put two images into a single Writer document; Image1 via the Insert Menu > Picture > From File... (thereby circumventing Klipper?); and Image2 drag-and-dropped via Konqueror. If I add a caption to Image1 OOo continues running without problem. Adding a caption to Image2 causes OOo to crash the instant I "OK" the Caption dialogue. The issue doesn't rear up unless Klipper is active. If Klipper is activated (before or while running OOo), the issue manifests, but only when manipulating the caption associated with Image2. It's as if by drag-and-dropping Konqueror/Klipper somehow alters the image in such a way as to corrupt the caption frame. Emptying Klipper's buffer does not terminate this mysterious "association". My other box running OOo 2.2.1 works fine under the same circumstances. I now have two workarounds, but this issue continues to be a nuisance.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

ArtificePrime wrote:
AndrewZ wrote:This BBS is not really a place to report bugs. Developers don't read posts here.
I apologise if I've crossed a forum rule (or if cross-posting between communities is in poor taste). I did read the Survival Guide before posting, and my intention was not to post a formal bug report; rather it was to share that I'm having an issue with my setup, that I'd found a workaround, and that I was curious if anyone else was having a similar issue. Surely that is within the spirit and mandate of this BBS?
There's no rule. I just mean that if you left a bug report only here, chances are it would fall through the cracks. Sometimes people need help or a second person's look before reporting a bug, so that's fine. Ultimately, the bug report belongs in some specialized bug tracking system such as http://qa.openoffice.org, http://bugs.kde.org, or whatever Mandriva has.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP