[Solved] Can't open OpenOffice.org

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
linuxnewbie

[Solved] Can't open OpenOffice.org

Post by linuxnewbie »

Dear all,

I am a starter of linux OS user.

I installed open office 3.3, with the rpm version, and it worked for the first couple of times right after installation, then just wouldn't open. no error messages, just nothing. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. it works for a couple of times and then the same, nothing.
I examine the system monitor, and found nothing related to openoffice in the task list.

Would anyone suggest any ways to tackle the problem?

I am using scientific liinux 6, a derivative of RHEL.

Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
openoffice 3.3
scientific linux 6
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Can't open openoffice

Post by kingfisher »

It takes time to work out Linux. Did you install the distro's version of OO? I'd get no sympathy from my distro's forum for using software not in the repository. It may be better for you to use the distro's software initially.

One thing you can do is run the command to launch OO in a terminal, e.g. openoffice.org3 -writer %U [the command in my menu]. Take the command used in your launcher. You may then get some feedback.

There is a command you can use to precede the launch command called 'strace' but I don't know anyone who can decipher the feedback.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
linuxnewbie

Re: Can't open OpenOffice.org

Post by linuxnewbie »

Thanks.
I found the error messages when opening with terminal:

/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And I googled the error and found a solution for it, the reason is the system replaced the wrong version of the package openoffice.org-ure when updating, so I am taught to add an exclude row to /etc/yum.conf file to exclude the update on it.

Thanks a lot. I will try hard to get used to linux OS.
openoffice 3.3
scientific linux 6
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can't open OpenOffice.org

Post by kingfisher »

Well done. Switch off automatic updating. If you want to know when an update occurs, subscribe to the announce list.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux