[Solved] Italic font in application menus in LibreOffice

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
vanlong441

[Solved] Italic font in application menus in LibreOffice

Post by vanlong441 »

I know this problem is rare because I could not find a fix for it. A screenshot is attached. Please help. Thank you.
Attachments
italic application menu
italic application menu
Last edited by vanlong441 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Once used LO 3.4.4
Now use Ooo 3.3.0 / LO 3.3.4

GNOME Shell 3.2
Ubuntu Oneric 11.10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Italic font in application menus (affect all libre apps)

Post by kingfisher »

That's a new one for me. In OpenOffice the settings are Tools > Options > OO.o > View (and, possibly, > Fonts).

What is the history? Have you just installed and begun using the software?

One possible culprit is your settings folder (aka profile). You could try renaming it after closing all LO processes, including quick starter. You will find the location of the folder in the same options dialogue under > Paths which lists some of the sub folders. When you re-start LO, it will create a new settings folder.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look at / Tools / Options / OpenOffice.org / View and see is Use System Font for User Interface ticked. If not. tick it. You may need to restart OpenOffice for this to take - probably best to restart computer entirely.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
vanlong441

Post by vanlong441 »

I remember when I first installed LBO it was that way. This may relate to Oneric or something for it was fine with my 11.04. I will wait for more suggestions or a newer version of LibreOffice because your suggestions didn't work. Thanks anyway.
Once used LO 3.4.4

GNOME Shell 3.2
Ubuntu Oneric 11.10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it happen only for LibO?
Have you tried to reset your OOo user profile? Who knows.
You can try to install OOo to check (they can run in parallel if installed through the vanilla versions): [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
vanlong441

Post by vanlong441 »

Hi. Thank you all for your support. I tried to install Ooo with the downloaded debs in my Ubuntu 11.10 with GNOME Shell and guess what, it did not show up any launchers but guess what, I tried following http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/04/insta ... m-ppa.html to install Ooo using ppa:openoffice-pkgs/ppa to install sudo apt-get install openoffice.org and guess what, it installed both Ooo and LibreO packages but this time, besides Ooo not showing up any launchers, the application menu of my LibreO was fixed!

Sorry about the repeated words I used but guess what, I am still surprised for the weird fix. Perhaps my LibreO uses some packages from Ooo which have not been ported to it yet? I don't know but the problem is solved :lol:
Attachments
solved
solved
Once used LO 3.4.4

GNOME Shell 3.2
Ubuntu Oneric 11.10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Italic font in application menus in LibreOffice

Post by kingfisher »

Your initial installation may have been faulty. I doubt that LO requires any OO files.
vanlong441

Post by vanlong441 »

kingfisher wrote:Your initial installation may have been faulty. I doubt that LO requires any OO files.
My thought was the same and I also reinstalled LO from official respo of Ubuntu as well as the current beta and rc downloaded from their site but the problem persisted. Now I am using Ooo for LO has been crashing too many times even after the italic application menu was fixed.
Once used LO 3.4.4

GNOME Shell 3.2
Ubuntu Oneric 11.10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For information: installing vanilla OpenOffice 3.3 (and earlier) on Ubuntu always required removal of all traces of the distro versions of OOo (and presumably LibO) using (typically) Synaptic. Sometimes the first startup of OOo after installation crashed; deleting the User Profile cures this.
vanlong441

Post by vanlong441 »

thank you for the information. Now I know where to look for solution and what to do when I meet my first crash in Ooo but fortunately there has been none so far :)
Once used LO 3.4.4

GNOME Shell 3.2
Ubuntu Oneric 11.10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I find OOo 3.3 (and earlier) very stable on Ubuntu and Win2K. My main use is Writer (mostly plain text, book format, no illustrations), with some lesser use of Impress.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Italic font in application menus in LibreOffice

Post by kingfisher »

So you are using OO now? My distro's LO installer removes OO completely. I had to use the official build to install OO, it is not available from the distro.
vanlong441

Post by vanlong441 »

kingfisher wrote:So you are using OO now? My distro's LO installer removes OO completely. I had to use the official build to install OO, it is not available from the distro.
Not really. I was not mentally happy with Ooo so I switched back to the former final version of LO, the 3.3.4 manually downloaded from their website, and have been testing it out for a while. Now I can say it is as stable as Ooo 3.3.0 and can confirm all crashes stay with LO 3.4.4.

I also wanted to keep both LO and Ooo for testing purpose but I could only choose one.
RoryOF wrote:I find OOo 3.3 (and earlier) very stable on Ubuntu and Win2K. My main use is Writer (mostly plain text, book format, no illustrations), with some lesser use of Impress.
I've just only started to seriously use the office suite since I purchased my first printer two weeks ago. I found out the way to print 2 sided brochure in LO but the version that came with my distro was 3.4.4 and it crashed all the time along with the small italic application menu issue. I could live with the crashes for quite a hard time until finally giving up on it and seeking for another Office suite. I found Ooo 3.3.0 a good alternative before knowing the former final version of LO, the 3.3.4, was working fine as well. Now I'm using LO 3.3.4 and gonna test its future releases.
Once used LO 3.4.4

GNOME Shell 3.2
Ubuntu Oneric 11.10