[Solved] Upgrading to 3.3 with the RPMs on Suse 11

Issues with installing under all Linux Distributions

[Solved] Upgrading to 3.3 with the RPMs on Suse 11

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 am

I have downloaded OOo_3.3.0_Linux_x86_install-rpm.en-US.tar.gz for my Suse 11 system because OO 3.1 crashes every time I try to run (or do most anything with) a macro. I ran the following instructions:
rpm -qa | grep openoffice > ooo_packages
rpm -e 'cat ooo_packages'
as instructed but get the diagnostic "error: package cat ooo_packages is not installed"

I have tried a number of variations including listing all the packages, the content of ooo_packages file, on the command line. Didn't work. With the separately listed files on the rpm -e command, the diagnostic I get is
"error: Failed dependencies: // openoffice.org-ure is needed by (installed) ooobasis3.1-core01-3.1.0-9399.i586"

When I tried rpm -i *.rpm in the RPMS directory, all I got was pages of "...conflicts with file from package openoffice.org3-3.1.0..." diagnostics.

If anyone can suggest how to do the install/upgrade, I would appreciate it greatly. Alternatively, if someone can tell me how to prevent OO 3.1 from crashing when I run Tools > Macros > Run Macro, it would obviate the need for upgrading. {That crash is immediate, even if only a blank doc is 'open.' Is there some file I can delete so will run macros?}
Last edited by Horse on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10
Horse

Re: Upgrading to 3.3

Postby RoryOF » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:32 am

I have no SUSE experience, but with Ubuntu it is necessary to remove all previous traces of OOo or LibO installed from the repositories before installing OOo. This involves removing openoffice.org-core and openoffice.org-common using Synaptic; presumably a similar removal using the appropriate tool in SUSE (YAST?) will help. Often after a clean install of OOo (no errors) it will crash on startup. In that case, remove the User profile (new one created next startup).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby acknak » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:39 pm

lee@seki.com wrote:... I ran the following instructions:
rpm -qa | grep openoffice > ooo_packages
rpm -e 'cat ooo_packages'
as instructed but get the diagnostic "error: package cat ooo_packages is not installed"

The command shown above uses the wrong quote characters; it should use backquotes: rpm -e `cat ooo_packages`

Or, alternatively, if you're using the bash shell: rpm -e $(cat ooo_packages)

Also, your first command may not pick up all the OOo packages. For example, the packages distributed by OO.org do not all contain the string "openoffice". In that case, you may not get all the OOo packages removed by this approach, and trying to install the new packages may still complain about conflicts with installed packages. In that case, note the reported package name and re-run the removal commands for the conflicting package.

Ask again here if you get stuck.

Managing OOo installations and upgrades this way is a big PITA and requires some expertise. I recommend that you just use the OOo packages made specifically for your distribution--you should be able to update to the latest OOo just by running a graphical software manager of some kind. If your distribution does not provide OOo 3.3, switch to one that does.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Thank you. It nearly worked (back apostrophes were the key. Linux know-how must have retired when I did). Turns out there were lots of dependencies, as you guessed, so I ended up using: rpm-qa | grep build# > ooo_all; rpm -e `cat ooo_all` ! back apostrophes in second command

I didn't successfully combine the original ooo_packages and the other *ooobase* files, so the first command above produced the list of files in the order required by the rpm uninstall command (second command above). One possible key to it working was that the build number was a unique identifier for the OO files and no others. I did check before doing the uninstall (grep -v openoffice ooo_all shows that all of the ooo_all were open office files for me and grep -v build# ooo_* showed that all the files that I'd found before had the build number in their names).

Don't know why the new SUSE I installed about four months ago did not include the new OO. Thank you for your help, Moderator Acknak.
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10
Horse

Return to Linux