RHEL 5.6 start up issue

Issues with installing under all Linux Distributions

RHEL 5.6 start up issue

Postby dflat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Two systems, identical Dell workstations,
System 1: RHEL 5.3 Open Office 3.3.0
System 2: RHEL 5.6 Open Office 3.3.0

Both Systems have NFS mounts where user's home is on the NFS mount. So .openoffice.org is in the home directory so both systems see it.
Installed Openoffice via ./setup using the X86_64 Open Office, -net did not work.

Problem: On system 1, I can log in and run Open Office as myself and root. On system 2 only root can run Open Office. When I try to start it the splash screen freezes and I have to do "killall soffice". Was getting errors for multiple instances of Open Office running or a lock file. Went to my home directory and removed the .lock file but it didn't help. Deleted the .openoffice.org in my home directory to get rid of the user directory and that did not do it.
Frustrated since system 2 was an update from 5.3 to 5.6 I reinstalled 5.6 from scratch and reconfigured the system but Open Office still will not run as myself but root can run it. I am not seeing anything in /var/log/messages in relation to this. Is this a network install issue? If so what version of Open Office allows network installs, 32 bit? The bigger question is: can you have two local installs of Open Office on two different systems and be able to run open office on both with an common NFS home directory?

Thanks.
Red Hat 5.3 and 5.6, Open Office 3.3.0
dflat

Re: RHEL 5.6 start up issue

Postby dflat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:24 pm

UPDATE: Reloaded system with RHEL 5.3 and still have the same issues. It must therefore be something on my home directory that is preventing Open Office from running?
Red Hat 5.3 and 5.6, Open Office 3.3.0
dflat

Return to Linux