Slowdown after recovery from sleep

Issues with installing under all Linux Distributions

Slowdown after recovery from sleep

Postby pjkersten » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:02 am

Hi,

Recently I've discovered an irritating flaw in OpenOffice. I'm curious if this is a known issue and can/has be(en) solved.

After a sleep, my system awakes flawlessly. Net connections are obviously down (DHCP), but are up and running within seconds.
My documents directory is on a Samba share. When using OpenOffice and having a document opened from my Samba share, OpenOffice becomes next to unusable. Speed is down to almost zero, scrolling takes forever but (curiously enough) saving continues with normal speed. It doesn't matter if I create new documents after this - speeds stay down. The only solution I found to this problem is closing all documents, exiting OpenOffice and reopening again. After that, things are normal again.

What's happening here? Can I do anything to solve this in a systematical way?

Thanks for listening.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Fedora 14
pjkersten

Re: Slowdown after recovery from sleep

Postby RoryOF » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:24 am

I doubt it. There have been instances of file corruption in OOo after sleep/hibernation, so it is probably best not to let your computer sleep/hibernate with an open document in OOo.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Never noticed such thing under Windows (XP, W2k or Vista), using hibernation at lunch with around 3 OOo documents opened.
Under Ubuntu, I rarely hibernate with opened OOo files so can't really say but don't remember that.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).

Off line until 30-AUG-2020
Hagar Delest

Postby RoryOF » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:41 pm

There were certainly some complaints on this forum of file corruption after sleep/hibernation. I'm old-fashioned and never allow a machine to sleep - I close it down (perhaps a habit from CP/M days and experience with memory leaks).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby pjkersten » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:30 am

My sleep is automated after 60 min. inactivity, so whenever I walk away and get delayed, I can't prevent this situation from happening (it would kill my energy policy if I would). I often work with several documents open at the time and its simply too much work to close everything and reopen it again, yet this behavior/flaw forces me to do so.

Pity to hear that this is not known behavior. Perhaps I should file a bug report...

Well, thanks for replying anyway. It's better to let it happen than to close all documents every time I walk away.
Cheers.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Fedora 14
pjkersten

Postby RoryOF » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:39 am

Beware! There may be file corruption arising from this hibernation - I don't guarantee it, but don't be surprised if it happens. Ctrl S is a useful shortcut to Save a file, but even a recent Save is not proof against file corruption. The few seconds saved by not closing files will be well consumed by having to re-create a corrupted file if one happens. Murphy's Law says that such a corruption will happen with the most important file just against the deadline.
RoryOF

Return to Linux