Can't work on NFS

Issues with installing under all Linux Distributions

Can't work on NFS

Postby jandersen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 am

I have - like many others - problems with Ooo (3.2.1) and NFS - this is on the latest Debian 64 bit:

1: If I create a new document, I get a message saying something like "Error saving the document Untitled1. Error during shared access to /repo/root/reports/x.odt"

2: If I try to open an existing document, I get "Document file '...' is locked by Unknown User ..."

There seems to be a number of workarounds (none of which work) and any solution seems to involve "fixing the NFS setup"; there are no further details, however. Is there a definitive guide anywhere, please?

I can sympathise with the sentiment, that Ooo is doing the right thing, but I think the practical reality is that most users rarely, if ever, work on a document at the same time as somebody else (and if they do this often, they are likely to have some sort of VCS or similar which makes it less of an issue) - think home-network with a cheap NAS. This sort of thing shouldn't be an issue - it should certainly be easy to fix, perhaps even with a button to turn off locking in the message box that tells us about the problem.

Is there a way to fix this problem, so I can work on an NFS drive on a cheap, rubbishy NAS that doesn't understand proper NFS? I suppose I could go and find the place in the code, rip out the code that generates the message and recompile the whole thing, but I hope there is another solution.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 OOO320m19 (Build:9505) on Debian
jandersen

Re: Can't work on NFS

Postby rudolfo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 pm

What kind of knowledge do you have regarding NFS? Have you configured it before on a Linux system (server and client side)? Or are you just using it now, because your NAS box does only offer this kind of network filesystem for Linux hosts?

NFS by concept does not work well with file locking processes. I came across many configuration files for UNIX services where they had an initial warning not to use this service on a mounted NFS filesystem. cvs server is one of them or even more obvious email servers delivering to mbox format mail spool files. Probably also the apache web server.
OpenOffice uses a similar file locking mechanism, so you can except any kind of flaws if you work on NFS directly.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
rudolfo
Volunteer

Return to Linux