Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
dlw

Help with fresh install of OO 2.4

Post by dlw »

I get the following error when trying to start OO 2.4

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x6e

Any ideas on how to solve?

dlw
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri May 16, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Those who turn their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' Thomas Jefferson
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Hagar Delest

Re: Help with fresh install of OO 2.4

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum. What's your distro? OOo 2.4 from your repositories or from the OOo web site? Had you that issue with a previous version? Is it an upgrade or first install?

First try: rename your OOo user profile (~/.openoffice.org2).

NB: you should give your thread a better title like 'libGL and 3D driver compatibility for OOo 2.4 fresh install'. See the Survival Guide for the forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tdmoore

Post by tdmoore »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Please read the Survival Guide for the forum. What's your distro? OOo 2.4 from your repositories or from the OOo web site? Had you that issue with a previous version? Is it an upgrade or first install?

First try: rename your OOo user profile (~/.openoffice.org2).

NB: you should give your thread a better title like 'libGL and 3D driver compatibility for OOo 2.4 fresh install'. See the Survival Guide for the forum.
Hagar,

I have read this post after just putting another one up on a Java issue (JRE not working properly).

You state to rename the user profile but I don't quite understand what this means (~/.openoffice.org2). Can you please clarify for me so I can try this as a potential workaround? Do I put this in the terminal window? Not sure what the tilde (~) means here or if it has to be included.

Appreciate your reply. Thanks in advance.

Linux, Ubuntu, 8.04 Hardy Heron upgrade from 7.10. 2.4 from the repositories. No issue with previous version before upgrade to Hardy.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

TDM
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows XP
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

The "user profile" is a folder created in your home directory (/home/tdmore/ or ~/). If you have OO from the Ubuntu repository, your profile will probably be called something other than .openoffice.org2. It may be something like 'ooffice'.

Renaming the profile is not a workaround. It simulates deletion or moving. You should perform one of those operations only when all OO processes, including any quick starter, are closed. OO creates a new "profile" when re-started.

Refreshing that folder is not a cure-all but it sometimes fixes inexplicable problems. The reason for renaming the folder is that, if that does not fix the problem, you can reinstate the old profile by giving it back its former name.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In addition: the OOo user profile contains a lot of configuration files. If one of them gets corrupted, a new profile will recreate new files that should be fine then.

Note that once it's fixed, you can copy old sub-folders of the profile to the new one to get back your previous customization. But the trick is to do that one by one and to avoid the damaged file.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tdmoore

Post by tdmoore »

Appreciate the reply however I cannot see anything resembling that.

Screenshot attached...again, thanks for the help in advance!
profile shot.png

TDM
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

The folder is hidden, so either unhide it or try the procedure at OpenOffice.org troubleshooting under the heading "Reset user's application profile."
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Your home folder contains a number of folders and files which begin with a point (.). The effect of the point is to make the folders and files hidden from view normally. You can set your file browser to show hidden files (and folders). The setting may be in Edit >Preferences; it will be in the menu somewhere.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
tdmoore

Post by tdmoore »

Jeez...I should have known that!! :oops:

Terrific advice now guys so will try.

Appreciate all the help!

TDM
tdmoore

Post by tdmoore »

BIG THANKS!!! to AndrewZ and Kingfisher!!!

It worked and I am most grateful.

Thanks again...I love the Ubuntu family!

TDM