[Solved] OOo Draw Dimension Lines

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
JHON RUEDA

[Solved] OOo Draw Dimension Lines

Post by JHON RUEDA »

Hi. Actually I've Draw installed in a debian distribution, but the dimension line only show 1 decimal place. When I changed to two or more Decimal places in the contextual menu "Dimensions", the dimension line just show 1.
I test this issue in OOo for Windows, and in this OS worked very good.
Please, can someone tell me how to correct this problem?.
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by JHON RUEDA on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: OOo Draw Dimension Lines

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try the official version: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a build issue. At least, even the official builds have problems with this.

What OOo version do you have? There was a bug in this feature that was "fixed" recently (2.3.0, I believe). You should have OOo 2.3.1 or 2.4 (just released this week).

I put "fixed" in quotes because, even after the fix, you cannot set the number of decimal places and expect it to work like a number format. I don't understand why--OOo's dimensions system is screwy beyond anyone's understanding, I think--but that's how it is. So if you already have a newer version, it simply may not be possible to get two decimal places shown, depending on what units you're using, the exact value of the dimension, and the phase of the moon.

PS: In playing around with it a little more, it suddenly seems obvious: OOo never displays "unnecessary" digits. If the actual length to be displayed is 1.0000 (in whatever measurement unit you're using), you can't get the dimension line to show anything beyond the decimal place. If the length is 1.0100, then you can get two places. If the length is 1.1234 then you can get up to four places shown. The value in the dimension label will be rounded to the limit set in the "decimal places" setting.

Ooo's behavior might be nice for some things, but it's terrible for technical work, where the convention is to show a constant number of decimal places.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JHON RUEDA

Post by JHON RUEDA »

Ok. I install the OOo 2.4 in my system (this was very tricky), and now the dimension line is working in the right way. Thanks a lot for this. But, now the OpenClipart gallery doesn't work. I try reinstalling this again from the Synaptic Package Manager, nothing happened.
Thanks again....
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] OOo Draw Dimension Lines

Post by Hagar Delest »

The OpenClippart gallery is in SVG format it seems. The Debian version of Ubuntu may contain the filter whereas the official build does not. Try to install the SVG support: SVG Import.

Next time, create a new thread because it's not the same issue (see the Survival Guide for the forum).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10