[Solved] LibreOffice can't open smb:// files

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
mailman1175

[Solved] LibreOffice can't open smb:// files

Post by mailman1175 »

Hello,

I'm using LibreOffice 3.3.0 on Linux Mint Debian Edition, trying to open a file served via samba from an OS X machine. LibO just pops up an error: "General Network Error", the details of which say "permission denied" or some such.

I gather from a bit of searching on the forum that OpenOffice tries to save a */.lock-filename, and that some people have had problems with this, and limited success solving it by changing OOo's behavior (ie, disabling the option that "locks" the file on the server). However, it doesn't appear that LibO allows me to change that behavior (at least, it's not immediately apparent where that option is located).

I don't know that this is the problem... So I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
Last edited by mailman1175 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 3.3.0; Linux Mint Debian Edition
RoryOF

Re: LibreOffice can't open smb:// files

Post by RoryOF »

If the file is not in use by anyone else there should be no lock file open. For debugging purposes you should arrange a file on the server which you know no one else will be using. It is my memory that the presence of the lock file does not prevent the file being opened by a second user, but in this case it is only opened "readonly". Using any other application on your computer can you see or edit any file (say a text file) on the server? If not, your problem is most likely to do with network connectivity, rather than with OOo/LibO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mailman1175

Post by mailman1175 »

RoryOF wrote:If the file is not in use by anyone else there should be no lock file open. For debugging purposes you should arrange a file on the server which you know no one else will be using. It is my memory that the presence of the lock file does not prevent the file being opened by a second user, but in his case it is only opened "readonly". Using any other application on your computer can you see or edit any file (say a text file) on the server? If not, your problem is most likely to do with network connectivity, rather than with OOo/LibO.
I'm the only one using any of these files. After posting, I noticed that I'm able to open .txt files in LibO via samba (thus ruling out network issues)... just not .doc files. This afternoon I'll create test .xls and .pps files and see if they'll open over the network.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm certainly able to open .odt and all .odf files under OOo on Ubuntu and Windows across my network, either from Win2K or Ubuntu servers
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mailman1175

Post by mailman1175 »

RoryOF wrote:I'm certainly able to open .odt and all .odf files under OOo on Ubuntu and Windows across my network, either from Win2K or Ubuntu servers
As well you should be…
mailman1175

Post by mailman1175 »

Just did some poking around and found that I had restrictive permissions on a few of the files I was trying to access over the network. Occam's Razor strikes again. Will mark thread [Solved].