80 year old with Ubuntu

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
UncleRice

80 year old with Ubuntu

Post by UncleRice »

I'm in an "OH BLEEP!" situation. I have an 80 year old client with Ubuntu and Open Office that has maybe never seen the internet. If it has seen the internet it has been maybe 3? years since it has seen the internet. My own skills with Ubuntu probably have 3 or 4 years of rust on them. What can I download with my XP/Vista computers and put on a thumb drive or CD to update his Open office so he can open the book keeping files to his business that I create on my fully updated Open office? Where do I find them?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
therabi
Volunteer

Re: 80 year old with Ubuntu

Post by therabi »

UncleRice wrote:I'm in an "OH BLEEP!" situation. I have an 80 year old client with Ubuntu and Open Office that has maybe never seen the internet. If it has seen the internet it has been maybe 3? years since it has seen the internet. My own skills with Ubuntu probably have 3 or 4 years of rust on them. What can I download with my XP/Vista computers and put on a thumb drive or CD to update his Open office so he can open the book keeping files to his business that I create on my fully updated Open office? Where do I find them?
On the OpenOffice.org web site, select Download. In the drop down select Get all platforms and languages. On the screen that open select Download Full Installation Sets. In the table scroll down till you find the language then go across to the operating system, you will want the DEB package, and click to download the files. Put them on the thumb drive.

For details on how to install go to http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/ . Find the Installation Guide for OpenOffice.org 3.x, download a copy. You will find the needed information on how to install it. Is is recommended that the installed version be removed prior to installing. Use the Package Manager to remove the old program.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it doesn't work you probably haven't removed _all_ of Ubuntu's version and should repeat the process of removal and then reinstallation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Don't bother with the download, just install the OOo that comes with Ubuntu. You can use the software manager: just locate the openoffice packages there (there should be a group or category that includes all the necessary packages) and click install.

Seriously, I know there are some bugs in the Ubuntu version, but it's perfectly usable for most people, and far easier to install for someone who's not good at the command line, and is better integrated with the rest of the desktop.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This is a three(?) year old Ubuntu, so a later version of OOo might be advisable. If it were me, I'd borrow the computer box, bring it to a broadband connection and upgrade Ubuntu, using its OOo.
 Edit: Or make an Ubuntu CD and install off that. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Point taken; I didn't notice that. Well, at least you have two alternatives; either way should be ok, at least to get started with.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23