How to change the default Linux OOo installation directory?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
JonsenElizee

How to change the default Linux OOo installation directory?

Post by JonsenElizee »

I got no help info for this issue.
I don't want to install openoffice 3.2.1 at /opt/openoffice and /opt/openoffice3.
I really want to change the default installing directory of OOO.3.2.1, but there is no successful way.
If anyone know this, please tell me, thanks advance.

this way will not work:
First, I installed OOO.3.2.1. #this will install OOO.3.2.1 at /opt/openoffice and /opt/openoffice3.
Second, tar zcvf OOO.3.2.1.tar.gz /opt/openoffice*.
Third, uninstall OOO.3.2.1.
cd /opt/ins/ooo/3.2.1 #here is my target directory wanted.
tar zxvf /opt/OOO.3.2.1.tar.gz
#find soffice and run it
cd path/to/soffice
./soffice
#this will startup openoffice and show you the openoffice application view,
but it will die when you want to input something through your keyboard.

For it's a independent java program, this way will work for openoffice 2.4, but it no longer works for 3.2.1.

I hope someone could show me the way to change the default installing directory of openoffice 3.2.1 or the higher version of
ooo.

thanks again. :D
Openoffice.3.2.1 on EL5.5
acknak

Re: How to change the default linux OOO installation directo

Post by acknak »

As far as I know, the only way to change the install location is to install using rpm and provide the --prefix location option.

Is there some reason you don't want to use your distribution's OOo packages? That is usually the easiest and best approach.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Do you really dislike the /opt/openoffice and /opt/openoffice3 paths?
Try to use symbolic links. Create two directories of your choice and create two symbolic links /opt/openoffice and /opt/openoffice3 pointing to these new directories. Then start the installer. The installer will use the existing directories and the installed files will be located whereever you want them to have.
Of course if you say even 2 symlinks (that occupy 20 or 30 bytes on /opt) are too much and you want to have your /opt directory completely clean from OOo, this work around won't help you.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
mm44

Post by mm44 »

You can just unpack rpm or deb packages without running the installer.

In a different language but you should understand script lines ;) ...

http://user.services.openoffice.org/pl/ ... ?f=4&t=342

PS
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... %26t%3D342
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 9.04
JonsenElizee

Post by JonsenElizee »

Thank you everyone.
It really let me scratch my head over: why ooo has no option for installing dir when we install it via its GUI installing interface.

for the hint from acknak, I will try to manually install all the rpms with option --prefix with out "setup" script from ooo.
Openoffice.3.2.1 on EL5.5
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

In Windows if you do as custom installation then you can change the installation directory when you get to the dialog that lets you select what to install. Is that not available under Linux?
acknak

Post by acknak »

... why ooo has no option for installing dir when we install it via its GUI installing interface.
I think you're off the trail here: OOo has no GUI installer for Linux.

Did you try to use the "setup" tool that comes with the OO.org download?

Here are the installation instructions for Linux: http://download.openoffice.org/common/i ... html#linux Only command-line installation is described there, no GUI, no "setup".

In fact, OO.org barely supports installing on Linux at all; they really expect that the Linux distributions will do the necessary integration work and provide a friendly installation interface. That's why I recommend that you stick to your distribution's OOo packages unless you have a specific need to do otherwise, because the support for downloading and installing the OO.org packages is not well-supported.

Unlike the Windows world, Linux applications are not packaged with an installer. Linux software is packaged to be installed by a software manager, and without asking any questions. You can provide options that may affect the installation, if the package supports the options, and you run the command-line installation tools.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
mm44

Post by mm44 »

Only command-line installation is described there, no GUI, no "setup".
This is what I described for rpm and deb packages.
Moreover I mentioned "bootstraprc" file where you can change settings directory to use many versions of OOo at the same time.
Google page translation is "not bad" but if you don't understand something I can explain it.

PS
My method does not require root privileges.
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 9.04