Broken Installation - "Bus Error"

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
davorg

Broken Installation - "Bus Error"

Post by davorg »

Yesterday I installed OpenOffice on this (new, but completely updated) Fedora 11 system. I installed it from the standard Fedora repositories using yum. Dozens of RPMs were downloaded and installed. But something, somewhere is not right.

I first realised there was a problem when I double-clicked on attachments in email and nothing happened. I then tried starting the apps from the menu, but still nothing happened. When trying to run ooffice from the command line, I see the following:

$ ooffice /usr/lib/openoffice.org3/program/soffice: line 129: 28286 Bus error "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"

The five digit number varies each time I try it.

I'm at rather a loss as to where I can start to track down this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Fedora 11
Safway
Volunteer

Re: Broken Installation - "Bus Error"

Post by Safway »

I don't know the direct answer to your question; however, because I am also using Fedora 11 and OO.o verion 3.1.1 this information might be of help. RedHat is able to answer any questions regarding their OO.o builds and how it relates to their Fedora 11 releases. They may be a resource for you.

The OO.o RPM files that came with Fedora 11 I didn't use. I uninstalled all of them and replaced them with the official RPMs from the http://www.openoffice.org site. I also noticed my software updating from the Fedora repositories wanted to install the openoffice.org-ure package the Fedora developers built. I don't install this as it conflicts with my official OO.o program files (that might be your direct problem).

Hope that helps.
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
davorg

Post by davorg »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the RPMs from OpenOffice.org if I can't find any other way to fix the problem.

I should point out, however, that I don't think it's a problem with RedHat's RPMs - as I have them working just fine on two other Fedora 11 machines.

Cheers,

Dave...
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

Comments on this page are something to consider--especially if you have OO.o installed successfully using the same method on other computers: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=690707
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
davorg

Post by davorg »

In case it's useful to anyone else, here's what finally fixed it.

I did a "yum update" this morning and noticed some errors.

/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/lib/libicudata.so.40.1 is truncated

That file is part of libicu, so I ran "yum reinstall libicu". And now everything seems to be working fine.

I still have no idea a) what caused this truncation or b) why that caused my problem. But anyway, it's fixed now. So I'm happy.

Cheers,

Dave...
Safway
Volunteer

Post by Safway »

Yeah, the libic dependency is pretty important.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 2e99206b9c