Save as .doc by default using configuration file

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
uminds

Save as .doc by default using configuration file

Post by uminds »

I would like to configure openoffice to save document as .doc using configuration file instead of using the program interface. Can someone advice if this is doable and how.

Thanks
openoffice 3.1 on ubuntu 9.04
squenson
Volunteer

Re: save as .doc by default using configuration file

Post by squenson »

Welcome to this forum, uminds!

Based on my experience, I STRONGLY advise you to NOT save your documents by default in .doc format. Too many people have lost several days of work because of some rare bugs in OOo that have made their files unreadable. It is much better to save in native OOo format and when you absolutely need it, make a copy in .doc format.

Now that you are informed of the risk, it is your decision. Go to Tools > Options > Load/Save > General and at the bottom of the panel, select the format for each type of document.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
uminds

Re: save as .doc by default using configuration file

Post by uminds »

Hi Squenson,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was actually look for way to make that change using configuration file, instead of using the menu in the UI.

uminds
openoffice 3.1 on ubuntu 9.04
Hagar Delest

Re: Save as .doc by default using configuration file

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is a configuration file that handles the default save format, see here : Default format (odt to doc) for domain users.

Or that one: Where are the default save configurations stored?

They are old topics and perhaps it has slightly changed with 3.x, I remember some recent discussions about it. Feel free to search the forum.

But as squenson said, use it at your own risk, especially if you have to export documents with tables in .doc.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mwinskie

Post by mwinskie »

So Squenson, if you save your document in OOo files and then you convert it to .doc in order to export the file, does this cause problems? I'm beginning an online course and my work has to be done in .doc format for the school.
Open Office 3.3 installed on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Depends on the content. You may lose some formatting so make sure that the exported result is fine (there is a free MS Word viewer IIRC, it could help).
Can't you file a PDF instead?

It's always safer to work in native ODF anyway, even to export in .doc.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10