[Solved] Text in Dialog Boxes Unreadable

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Arathorn

[Solved] Text in Dialog Boxes Unreadable

Post by Arathorn »

Hi there,

I have a problem with OOo 2.3.x under Kubuntu 7.10. The text in every dialog box of any of the OOo applications is not readable. It looks as if every single letter was replaced by a tall rectangular box, as you can see on the screenshot I linked below.
ooomessydialogpp4.png
ooomessydialogpp4.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 5388 times
Has anyone of you out there ever encountered this effect or a similar one? If yes, I would be very grateful for any hint on how to resolve it - as you can imagine, even trying to use OOo in a reasonable way is impossible at the moment.

TIA for any help provided!

Cheers, Arathorn.
Last edited by Arathorn on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Text in Dialog Boxes Unreadable

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to change the fonts used for the applications in your KDE control center. Make sure the new font is available on your system.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

What I perhaps forgot to mention: deleting the user profile in ~/.openoffice.org2/ doesn't help either. Additionally, the menu bar and menu entries themselves are perfectly readable, only dialog boxes and the ruler labels are distorted in the way described.

Concerning your proposal, Hagar, I suppose you think of the options presumably named "GTK styles and fonts" in English? I changed the settings to "Use my KDE fonts in GTK applications" but that still didn't help, aside from the fact that I'm not absolutely sure if I'm looking at the right place here. :roll: However, I tried changing the fonts, but that didn't help...

Perhaps OOo needs a special package to be installed, or a system font is accidentally missing? ATM I have little to no idea where to search...

Thanks for any further suggestions!
Arathorn.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, if you don't have any luck neither on the Ubuntu forum, you could try to install the official version of OOo : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

Ubuntu version of OOo is not really good, there are always problems with the packages.
Arathorn

Post by Arathorn »

Problem still present after removal and reinstallation from the repository, but finally solved by removing the package "openoffice.org-kde" ("KDE Integration for OpenOffice.org (Widgets, Dialogs, Addressbook)").

Thanks again to everyone who bothered to help. Hope it wasn't too much of a trouble. ;)

Arathorn.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Arathorn wrote:Problem still present after removal and reinstallation from the repository
Note that the Ubuntu version (from repository) is different from the official one. Therefore, you had few chances to improve the situation reinstalling from the reps.
Arathorn

Re: [Solved] Text in Dialog Boxes Unreadable

Post by Arathorn »

Well, yes. You mentioned it before, and I was aware of that fact. Most likely it would have been the best choice to follow your suggestion. ;-)

But I wanted to solve the problem in a somehow systematic approach, thus I thought it would be a good idea to give the ubuntu automatisms another try first. ;-) Perhaps the distro's setup tool had accidentally selected incompatible packages or whatever - who knows? But in this case I was the fool myself by selecting the above-mentioned package to be installed additionally to the standard OOo-packages. And yes, I know that this is the point where it gets non-systematic enough to screw it all up - shame on me ;-) On the other hand, only by making this mistake the information became available which package was responsible for that effect.

Arathorn.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Text in Dialog Boxes Unreadable

Post by Hagar Delest »

Arathorn wrote:Perhaps the distro's setup tool had accidentally selected incompatible packages or whatever - who knows?
Right, that's another possibility. Users have also reported better behavior by removing the openoffice.org-gnome-integration or something like that.