[Solved] Problem exporting to PDF

Issues with installing under all Linux Distributions

[Solved] Problem exporting to PDF

Postby pedroalmeida » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Hello dear friends,

I work daily with OpenOffice text Word Processor, but since I have Ubuntu, every time I try to export a document (.odt or .doc) as PDF, a functonality that I can't absolutely dismiss, I just see that in the new pdf file, all the comas (" ") just disappear. This is very hard for me, once I have, for prefessional reasons, to recieve and send pdf files that I write down. If anyone here know how to solve this problem, or has a suggestion, I would very thankfull with him/her. I will attach two files as example: one in .odt, the other as .pdf. In the second case, the comas (" ") just disappear.
Waiting for some tip,

yours sincerelly,
Pedro Almeida, Portugal
Attachments
2 Example in pdf.pdf
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
1 Example in odt.odt
(8.31 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
pedroalmeida

Re: I NEED HELP, IT IS URGENT, ABOUT A PROBLEM EXPORTING TO PDF

Postby hol.sten » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:14 pm

pedroalmeida wrote:I work daily with OpenOffice text Word Processor,

OOo version?

pedroalmeida wrote:but since I have Ubuntu,

Ubuntu version?

pedroalmeida wrote:every time I try to export a document (.odt or .doc) as PDF, a functonality that I can't absolutely dismiss, I just see that in the new pdf file, all the comas (" ") just disappear.

On Windows XP with OOo 2.3.1 I cannot reproduce your problem. Perhaps your problem is caused by the font you use. Try another font.

Regards
hol.sten
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
hol.sten
Volunteer

Postby foxcole » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:51 pm

I agree with hol.sten---the problem seems to be between font character availability on your OS and the PDF utility. It appears that a font is perhaps being substituted in the conversion process, in which case the quote characters (those are not commas, they're quote marks) may not reside in the same position or be available in the new font.

I arrived at the font substitution hypothesis by examining the PDF files in Adobe Acrobat, in the Fonts tab of the document properties. In the ODT file, the specified font is Times. In the sample PDF file, the embedded font is Times-Roman (a different font than Times) and because my computer doesn't have Times-Roman, the actual font is Times-New-Roman.

Pedro, in the ODT file, the paragraph style used is your default paragraph style. If you right-click on the paragraph style, choose Modify and click the Font tab, does a message appear at the bottom of the dialog window, about the font not being installed, and that the closest available font will be used? In Windows it is possible to use fonts that aren't actually installed, and I wonder if your version of Ubuntu might be working the same way.

Do you have Times-Roman installed? If so, try changing your Default paragraph style to that font (be sure to click the Organizer tab and select the AutoUpdate checkbox). Run the PDF export again and see if that helps.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
foxcole
Volunteer

Postby pedroalmeida » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:38 am

THANK YOU, HOL.STEN AND FOXCOLE!

Now I realize the problem was in the fonts: I've descharged Microsoft True Type Core Fonts from here (http://thelinuxbox.org/?page_id=3) and I've changed my default style to Times New Roman, and now I can export to pdf without loosing information, in the case, the quotation marks. It seems my problem is solved. However, I would like to know if there is another open source font, similar to TimesNewRoman, that does not bring up that problem. If there is, how could I get it?

Thankfull,
Pedro Lopes Almeida
pedroalmeida

Postby foxcole » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:55 am

pedroalmeida wrote:However, I would like to know if there is another open source font, similar to TimesNewRoman, that does not bring up that problem. If there is, how could I get it?

The Internet is full of free fonts... just try searching in Google for "free font." You'll find several that are even named Times New Roman, though they will have some slight, nearly imperceptible differences from the original font. One caveat with these is that there is no guarantee you're getting a complete font set; they're often missing a few special characters, for example... but if you're distributing your documents in PDF format using the built-in PDF export tool, the font characters you used in the document are automatically embedded in the PDF, so readers should be able to see the document almost exactly as you designed it anyway, with the font you used (almost exactly... there are differences in how operating systems calculate spacing, etc. so there will occasionally be variations in how the PDF is rendered).

Here are a couple of sites I've used in the past:
Simply the Best fonts
The FontSite

And here's a helpful site in case you run across a font you like in a book or other resource that doesn't provide font information. Have the printed version on hand so you can answer questions about the font characteristics:
Identifont - identify fonts and typefaces
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
foxcole
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:19 pm

pedroalmeida wrote:Now I realize the problem was in the fonts: I've descharged Microsoft True Type Core Fonts from here (http://thelinuxbox.org/?page_id=3)

There is a package in Ubuntu : go to Synaptic, it's msttcorefonts.

pedroalmeida wrote:However, I would like to know if there is another open source font, similar to TimesNewRoman, that does not bring up that problem. If there is, how could I get it?

There is also the Liberation font, see here : Liberation fonts.

NB: moved the thread to the Linux section.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Return to Linux