High CPU 100% every 3 days

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Did_support

High CPU 100% every 3 days

Post by Did_support »

I'm facing performance issues with openoffice, every 3 days the machine opens a Soffice.bin process and each of these processes consumes 100% CPU, as the machine has two CPUs, to reach 100% it takes time around 6 days. The first process turns out to be a zombie process. I'm using a RHEL7.8 and openoffice 4.1.10.

I noticed that every 3 days the openoffice socket file is deleted.

Any help gratefully received.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on RHEL7.9
RoryOF

Re: High CPU 100% every 3 days

Post by RoryOF »

How often do you restart your computer? Are computer and OpenOffice running all the time?

Monitor memory usage - perhaps a memory leak.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Did_support wrote:every 3 days the machine opens a Soffice.bin process and each of these processes consumes 100% CPU
The machine should never start AOO itself - it should only start if you start it (or, if you have Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Memory > OpenOffice Quickstarter ..., set to ON, AOO will start when the PC boots).

If you have a large document (hundreds of pages) with many images, footnotes etc AOO can take many minutes (like 30 minutes) at high CPU load to lay out every page of the document. Once layout is complete, the cpu load should fall to something trivial. See 11A. Why is my page count so high? Why does my page count keep changing? Why do white gaps appear in my document? in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have found that changing the page size on a thousand A4 (letter equivalent) page file to A5 (Brochure equivalent) can take several hours on one 8 GB RAM machine, but is only minutes on a different computer. I think the problem is caused by the slow machine using a Southbridge chipset, but am not certain.

These machines are running OpenOffice on Xubuntu 20.04.2,
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS