[Solved] Dark mode since install, Openoffice not usable

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
niels82nl

[Solved] Dark mode since install, Openoffice not usable

Post by niels82nl »

Hi there,

I have searched alot of topics but did not find a solution to my problem: Dark mode OpenOffice that makes the documents and menus unreadable. The entire application is in Dark Mode.

I cannot say why it is in Dark mode, I use KDE Plasma with light themes. I did use a Dark Theme for an hours but I did not like it and switched back. OpenOffice was not installed at this moment. When I switch to normal KDE nothing changes.

I tried changing several (light) themes, menu's and color schemes. Unfortunately no effect. I have searched through the Options > Appearance menus, but did not find any options to switch to Light mode or other settings apply to the Application. Most settings are for the documents itself, or some menus/buttons. (at this moment all color settings are set to default or Automatic)

Did not find any information about config files that contain these settings, I assume they should be there.

Looking forward if anyone has any idea where this issue is coming from.

Kind regards,

Niels
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tag [Solved]
AOO4110m2(Build:9807) - Linux x86_64 : Parrot 4.11, kernel: 5.10.0-8parrot1-amd64
robleyd

Re: Dark mode since install, Openoffice not usable

Post by robleyd »

What Linux distro and version are you using? Perhaps you could consider updating your signature to include this information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice with a text editor as root. It is a shell script.
Add the following lines. Insert them somewhere on top below the very first line. Do not append.

Code: Select all

SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen
export  SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN
Why do you try to run OpenOffice on Linux anyway? All Linux distributions come with its successor LibreOffice pre-installed.
There are reasons why no Linux distribution comes with OpenOffice pre-installed.
Last edited by Villeroy on Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

All Linux distributions come with its successor LibreOffice pre-installed.
Nearly all perhaps. Slackware for example doesn't come with either LO or AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

niels82nl wrote:I tried changing several (light) themes, menu's and color schemes.
The Application Style settings in KDE are for Qt applications, but AOO is a GTK application. You have to click the "Configure GNOME/GTK..." button on the Application Style dialog to open the GNOME/GTK Application Style dialog, then change the theme and restart OpenOffice. Setting the GTK3 theme to "Breeze" in Kubuntu 20.04 works for me.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
niels82nl

Post by niels82nl »

Bill wrote:
niels82nl wrote:I tried changing several (light) themes, menu's and color schemes.
The Application Style settings in KDE are for Qt applications, but AOO is a GTK application. You have to click the "Configure GNOME/GTK..." button on the Application Style dialog to open the GNOME/GTK Application Style dialog, then change the theme and restart OpenOffice. Setting the GTK3 theme to "Breeze" in Kubuntu 20.04 works for me.
Thanks alot, this solution worked immediately!

Everyone else, thanks for the replies.

@Villyroy: I don't like to work with LibreOffice, personal thing I guess. Can't get used to it.
@Robleyd: I have a signature, I have updated it with additional information.
AOO4110m2(Build:9807) - Linux x86_64 : Parrot 4.11, kernel: 5.10.0-8parrot1-amd64