[Solved] How to startup OpenOffice on Ubuntu 20.04

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
victor6799

[Solved] How to startup OpenOffice on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by victor6799 »

OK so I downloaded OpenOffice (Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.10_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz) from the Apache OpenOffice website then opened a command line window (Terminal) extracted all files to /home/Documents/Temp then ran the install command where OpenOffice was installed in the following directory (/opt/openoffice4/program/).

Now the only way that I can start OpenOffice is by opening Terminal and navigating to this same directory where it was installed and running the command ./soffice.

But the Terminal window stays open while using AOO and if I attempt to close out the Terminal window AOO shuts down as well. Is there another way to start using AOO ?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 Ubuntu 20.0.4
RoryOF

Re: How to startup OpenOffice on Ubuntu 20.0.4

Post by RoryOF »

After installing the main OpenOffice files, you possibly overlooked changing directory to desktop-integration (under the main directory

Code: Select all

cd desktop-integration
you used for installation) and then running

sudo dpkg -1 *.deb
which will place links to the OpenOffice components in the Office menu of your installation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

IMHO, there is no good reason to install OpenOffice on Linux. There are good reasons why all desktop distributions install LibreOffice but not OpenOffice.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
victor6799

Post by victor6799 »

RoryOF wrote:After installing the main OpenOffice files, you possibly overlooked changing directory to desktop-integration (under the main directory

cd desktop-integration
you used for installation) and then running

sudo dpkg -1 *.deb
which will place links to the OpenOffice components in the Office menu of your installation.
Thanks for the help. I tried searching for the desktop-integration directory but could not find it anywhere in the install directory.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

victor6799 wrote: then opened a command line window (Terminal) extracted all files to /home/Documents/Temp
dpkg -i /home/Documents/Temp/en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/*.deb

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Debian_Installation
Good luck with your brand new Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Linux. IMHO, it becomes a bigger desaster with every new "bugfix" release.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
victor6799

Post by victor6799 »

Villeroy wrote:
victor6799 wrote: then opened a command line window (Terminal) extracted all files to /home/Documents/Temp
dpkg -i /home/Documents/Temp/en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/*.deb

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Debian_Installation
Good luck with your brand new Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Linux. IMHO, it becomes a bigger desaster with every new "bugfix" release.
Thanks that worked! Then what do you recommend as a replacement for OpenOffice (AOO) ? Thanks again.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: How to startup OpenOffice on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by Villeroy »

SInce 10 years LibreOffice (which was pre-installed with your Ubuntu) is the "new OpenOffice".

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/