RHEL 7.6 and GNOME, desktop installation not successful

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
demongolem

RHEL 7.6 and GNOME, desktop installation not successful

Post by demongolem »

This involves the linux x64 installation for 4.1.9-9805

I have downloaded the rpm version and successfully run rpm where the application is put into /opt. Should I navigate the command line, I can successfully start the application. It is getting OpenOffice recognized by the GUI that I am having trouble with.

When I do the extra step of cd desktop-integration , I try to do rpm -ivh openoffice4.1.9-redhat-menus-4.1.9-9805.noarch.rpm, I get file /usr/bin/soffice from install of openoffice4.1.9-redhat-menus-4.1.9-9805.noarch conflicts with file from package libreoffice-core-1:5.3.6.1-25.el7_9.x86_64. Is it not possible to have both recognized by GNOME?
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: RHEL 7.6 and GNOME, desktop installation not successful

Post by Hagar Delest »

Under Ubuntu it is often necessary to remove any trace of LibreOffice, installed by default, it is perhaps the same for RHEL.
This tutorial may help: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: RHEL 7.6 and GNOME, desktop installation not successful

Post by Villeroy »

The software is usable without the optional "desktop integration" package and a self made starter icon. In this case LibreOffice remains the primary suite (which is the far better one anyway).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice