[SOLVED] Instaling Language Packs for OpenOffice on Ubuntu

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
nbmota

[SOLVED] Instaling Language Packs for OpenOffice on Ubuntu

Post by nbmota »

Hello,

I have downloaded OpenOffice language packs for Linux in order to install them on the OpenOffice that I have installed on my Ubuntu 20.04 system: an European Portuguese language pack, a Brazilian portuguese language pack, and a Spanish language pack. They came in compressed files. The files were as follows:
- Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_es.tar.gz
- Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_pt.tar.gz
- Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_es.tar.gz

I right-clicked them and clicked on "Extract Here." That gave me three file folders named as follows:
- Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_es
- Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_pt

One of these folders had another folder inside of it called "es." The second one of them had another folder called "pt;" and the third had another folder called "pt-BR" inside. I cut and paste the folder called "pt" and the folder called "pt-BR" into the folder called "Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_es." Then, I deleted the following empty folders, called:
- Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_pt

Then, I renamed the folder called "Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.8_Linux_x86-64_langpack-deb_es" to "Apache_OpenOffice_Language_Pack."

I suppose I have to cut and paste the folders called "es," "pt," and "pt-BR" inside of some folder inside of the tree of folder to where OpenOffice is installed in my Linux system. I suppose that folder in which I have to place the "es," "pt," and "pt-BR" is a folder that stores language files.

I see a folder called "openoffice4" inside of the "opt" folder in my computer. Maybe the folder to which I have to cut and paste the folcers called "es," "pt," and "pt-BR" into is in there somewhere. Does anybody know where? Can anybody help me to install language packs onto my OpenOffice suite on Ubuntu Linux?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Sincerely,

Nataly Mota
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Nataly Mota
OpenOffice 4.1.8
Ubuntu Linux 20.04
RoryOF

Re: How To Install Language Pack onto OpenOffice on Ubuntu L

Post by RoryOF »

What do you expect the language packs to do? This is important, as users often misunderstand the role of a language pack.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nbmota

Post by nbmota »

Hi RoryOF!

Thanks for replying to my post! I expect that the language packs will provide me with language dictionaries for multiple languages; and allow me to check spelling and grammar on multiple languages as well. Is that not what a language pack is supposed to do?

Sincerely,

Nataly Mota
Nataly Mota
OpenOffice 4.1.8
Ubuntu Linux 20.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

No, the language packs change the user interface - the menus, the Help file - of OpenOffice into that language.

You need to install or select dictionaries for your chosen languages and adjust styles to be used in those languages to declare which languages they are using.

I'm going offline now - I am at the end of a very long day; but no doubt someone else will help with your problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nbmota

Post by nbmota »

RoryOF,

Thank you for the clarification as well as for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Nataly Mota
Nataly Mota
OpenOffice 4.1.8
Ubuntu Linux 20.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Go to the dictionary extensions page and look for what you want: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/se ... tags%3A157

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nbmota

Re: [SOLVED] Instaling Language Packs for OpenOffice on Ubun

Post by nbmota »

Dear Hagar Delest,

Thank you! I have installed spell-checking dictionary extensions for Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese from Europe and Spanish for OpenOffice on Ubuntu Linux.

Sincerely,

Nataly Mota
Nataly Mota
OpenOffice 4.1.8
Ubuntu Linux 20.04