LibreOffice 7.0.2: No access to 2nd disk and network

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
EnzmannD

LibreOffice 7.0.2: No access to 2nd disk and network

Post by EnzmannD »

Recently I installed LibreOffice 7.0.2.2 via snap (parallel to LibreOffice 6.0.7.3) in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

While LO 6 (and all other programs on my system) allows to access all files and folders on my second hard disk, LO 7 does not let me see the disk and no network drives except for /home/<USERNAME> . As a work-around I copied the fies I want to open into a folder in /home/<USERNAME> but I would rather like to really solve the problem.

I also tried

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R <USERNAME>:<USERNAME> /home/<USERNAME
bu that does not help to solve the problem.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
LibreOffice 7.0.2.2
RoryOF

Re: LibreOffice 7.0.2: No access to 2nd disk and network

Post by RoryOF »

Snaps are very picky. You may need to set permissions for libreoffice to access the second disk in the snap application. I have, for the present, stopped using snap installs and reverted to command line "sudo apt install <application>"
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
EnzmannD

Post by EnzmannD »

Thanks for the quick reply. My problem now: I would like to remove the snap installation of LibreOffice 7 but keep the LibreOffice 6 installation. I don't know how to do this.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
LibreOffice 7.0.2.2
EnzmannD

Post by EnzmannD »

To remove the snap installation of libreoffice is solved. I used

snap list
and to see the installs and then

sudo snap remove libreoffice

I used the snap installation in the first place because I couldn't find another way to install LibreOffice 7.0 besides ppa and snap. I think I will try ppa next.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
LibreOffice 7.0.2.2
EnzmannD

Post by EnzmannD »

I installed LibreOffice via Flatpack (as described in https://www.debugpoint.com/2019/09/libr ... te-latest/ ) -- seems to be better than ppa if it comes to automatic updates -- and this finally solved my problem to access the 2nd disk and network. Thanks @RoryOF to recommend not using snap installs.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
LibreOffice 7.0.2.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think they will become the standard in future Ubuntu installs, but for the present I prefer not to use them. When an app is installed using a snap install snap seems to control its permissions; my memory is that I had to select the app within some form of snap listing, and press a Permissions button to tell snap what that app was allowed do. I got so annoyed by this that I uninstalled all snap install applications and reverted to the command line installs.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS