[Solved] I Get a Box I Do Not Recognize when Opening Files

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
alphagenius

[Solved] I Get a Box I Do Not Recognize when Opening Files

Post by alphagenius »

When I set up my computer, I removed LibreOffice and setup OpenOffice. OpenOffice has been nice but now I think I broke it. I was installing some LaTeX packages and it reinstalled LibreOffice alongside OpenOffice. Now, when I try to open a file in OpenOffice, I get the following screen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rHFNf9 ... sp=sharing

I selected “ODF Text Document” but I got the following error: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zq-xUG ... sp=sharing

Even after uninstalling LibreOffice, I got the same results. Not sure what is happening or how to fix it. I am hoping someone can help me. I am using OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Kubuntu 20.4. Sorry for posting links to the images on Google Drive instead of inserting the images but I tried that and the images did not show up. I also attached the files to this post. Thank you.
Attachments
screen-2.png
screen-2.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
screen-1.png
Last edited by alphagenius on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Kubuntu 20.04
RoryOF

Re: I Get a Box I Do Not Recognize when Opening Files

Post by RoryOF »

See if you can open this file
Attachments
Pride and Prejudice chap 1-4.odt
(21.66 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Upload your file so it can be diagnosed. Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

While it may well have a .odt qualifier it is not a well structured .odt file. AOO does not recognise the file and is saying "This is not a .odt file - what import filter (eg .doc, .txt, .html etc) do you want me to use?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
alphagenius

Post by alphagenius »

RoryOF wrote:See if you can open this file
The same thing happened when I tried to open your file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Kubuntu 20.04
alphagenius

Post by alphagenius »

John_Ha wrote:Upload your file so it can be diagnosed. Press POSTREPLY and click the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.

While it may well have a .odt qualifier it is not a well structured .odt file. AOO does not recognise the file and is saying "This is not a .odt file - what import filter (eg .doc, .txt, .html etc) do you want me to use?
Here is just one of the files that give me this problem.
Attachments
jacobs-miss-assignments.odt
(11.59 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Kubuntu 20.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your file opened for me with no problem. It showed only a Header "Jacob's Missing Assignment" and a blank text area. I suggest you rename or delete your OO user profile.

Before doing that, at system level copy an .odt file, rename it to .zip, and see if the system archive will open it - you should get a number of folders.
 Edit: That my file does not open, nor yours, on your computer, but that they are OK on my computer suggests to me that something may be wrong with the system archiver on your computer. It may be simpler to remove OpenOffice and use the LibreOffice packaged with your linux distro, 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
alphagenius

Post by alphagenius »

I deleted the user profiles on both computers and when I started OpenOffice, everything worked fine. Thanks everyone for your help.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Kubuntu 20.04