YUM and LibreOffice

Issues with installing under all Linux Distributions

YUM and LibreOffice

Postby gosewazi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:38 am

YUM UPDATE, which I run weekly, has been having some trouble with missing dependencies etc. and won't update LibreOffice.
I'm CentOS/7 64-bit; when I load via Application | Office, my version is 6.0.something. However

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
$ soffice

gives me 5.
It seems I've done a local install for updates over the past.
I decided to start clean, so I did a

# yum remove libreoffice*
# yum install libreoffice

And it's version 5.
So, before I do a download from libreoffice.org, then

# yum localinstall (mumble).rpm

(1) why is yum installing Version 5.
(2) if I do the localinstall, can I have yum take care of the updates after that, or must I do a localinstall whenever I get update notices?
(I tend to want to do this when my windows machines tells me the updates available, so I update there from within libreoffice.)
LibreOffice with Centos 7 64-bit
gosewazi

Re: YUM and LibreOffice

Postby Bill » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Did you try "yum search libreoffice" to find what version is available in the CentOS 7 repository? Distrowatch says that LO 5.3.6 was packaged with CentOS 7. CentOS is a "fixed release" distribution and applications aren't generally updated in fixed releases. That's one reason I switched to Manjaro, a rolling release distribution.
AOO 4.1.7 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:39 am

An update to Centos 7 has just been announced. The package list for the updated CentOS 7.8.2003 includes LibreOffice 5.3.6.1, so LO probably can't be updated on CentOS 7 using YUM. However, CentOS 7 also contains flatpak, which can be used to install newer versions of LO from Flathub. The command "flatpak update" would be used to update flatpak apps.
AOO 4.1.7 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:46 am

Much of the development of OpenOffice is carried out on CentOS machines, so a query on the dev mailing list at dev@openoffice.apache.org might get more relevant help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Linux