Can't install on Tumbleweed

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Atri7

Can't install on Tumbleweed

Post by Atri7 »

RPM install mostly proceeds smoothly, but OO still isn't bootable if I don't install the desktop-integration files. :? When I try to install them, I get this error:

Code: Select all

atri@tallent:~/Downloads/en-US/RPMS/desktop-integration> sudo rpm -Uvih *rpm[sudo] password for root: 
error: Failed dependencies:
        openoffice4.1.7-suse-menus conflicts with openoffice4.1.7-freedesktop-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
        openoffice4.1.7-redhat-menus conflicts with openoffice4.1.7-freedesktop-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
        openoffice4.1.7-mandriva-menus conflicts with openoffice4.1.7-freedesktop-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
        mandrake-release is needed by openoffice4.1.7-mandriva-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
        redhat-release is needed by openoffice4.1.7-redhat-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
        /etc/SuSE-release is needed by openoffice4.1.7-suse-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
atri@tallent:~/Downloads/en-US/RPMS/desktop-integration>
None of these packages register as being already installed or available in the oS repos when I try to add/remove them with zypper. What should I do to fix the problem? Thanks.
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove Toxic Issue icon
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on openSUSE Tumbleweed
robleyd

Re: Can't install on Tumbleweed

Post by robleyd »

You only need one of the desktop-integration files. See the Installation instructions for Linux; in the Linux RPM-based Installation section it says:
Install the desktop integration features for your setup.
cd to desktop-integration (in the installation directory),
and install an appropriate desktop interface using RPM. (Try the freedesktop-menus first.)
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

From memory, installing on Xubuntu, the installation of desktop-integration may clash with a system-provided libreoffice file; I normally remove all libreoffice files before installing OpenOffice; to do so in Xubuntu I use

sudo apt purge libreoffice*

You will have to translate that for non DEB versions of linux. Do not omit the trailing *
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Do not remove LibreOffice. It is the better office suite.

Simply create your own desktop link pointing to /opt/openoffice/program/soffice
I start it via Alt+F2 or from a terminal
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Atri7

Post by Atri7 »

I installed only

openoffice4.1.7-freedesktop-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
. It overwrote a LibreOffice file, but I still can't start OO. The terminal commands listed on the wiki don't work either. Trying to install the SUSE package returns another missing dependency error:

Problem: nothing provides /etc/SuSE-release needed by openoffice4.1.7-suse-menus-4.1.7-9800.noarch
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on openSUSE Tumbleweed
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Atri7 wrote:The terminal commands listed on the wiki don't work either.
The command "soffice" in the wiki has been taken over by LibreOffice. There's also a typo in the command posted by Villeroy ("openoffice" should be "openoffice4"). Using "/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice" instead of "/opt/openoffice/program/soffice" or "soffice" in the command line works for me on Manjaro.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

@LulaRobinson - why are you posting a response that is totally unrelated to the original question and is copied from another site??
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers