No Available language modules present

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
gm40

No Available language modules present

Post by gm40 »

Hi,
Whenever I install a new version of AOO I seem to have trouble with the spell checker in WRITER.
I recently installed 4.1.10 under opensuse Leap 15.3. As times before it complained about the missing file /etc/SuSE-release.
So I stalled the Suse desktop integration rpm anyway.
While in the system settings the spell checking is activated it doesn't work within the oo writer.
The listing of extensions shows all the needed dictionaries installed.
The spellcheck-button is pushed.
In the oo Tools/Options/Language Settings/Writing Aids are no available languages listed. The edit button is inactive.
In the oo Tools/Options/Language Settings/Languages a default language is defined and also a local language.
Why is the window 'Available language modules' empty and why doesn't the spellchecker work?
I also went through the trouble checker of 2007 without finding a solution.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on opensuse 13.1 with kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
Hagar Delest

Re: No Available language modules present

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gm40

Post by gm40 »

Yes, I did and went through it. But there have been some changes since 2007. So it;s not quite up to date.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on opensuse 13.1 with kernel 3.11.6-4-desktop
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

gm40 wrote:Yes, I did and went through it. But there have been some changes since 2007. So it;s not quite up to date.
OpenOffice did not change since many years and the 2007 tutorial about spell checking is still up to date.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

gm40 wrote:In the oo Tools/Options/Language Settings/Writing Aids are no available languages listed. The edit button is inactive.
[...]
Why is the window 'Available language modules' empty and why doesn't the spellchecker work?
It means that there are no language extension installed at all. In such case, the spellchecker cannot work since it has no dictionary to rely upon.
Thus, the first post of the troubleshooting guide is about getting the desired extensions in the first place.

Have you checked the main tutorial (linked in the first post of the troubleshooting guide)? It may give your more insight about what is meant by the extension thing.

Note that some distros include the language extensions available in the distro package manager. A language can also be installed this way (not my preferred way however).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10