Document recovery recurring issue

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
DocM

Document recovery recurring issue

Post by DocM »

:crazy: Hi. I keep getting this message on trying to open an odt or txt file. Can some one help please? I cannot update as it has an error message as well "Server error". I have downloaded and installed the new version of Open office 4 times to try to fix this. No luck.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win 8.1
robleyd

Re: Document recovery recurring issue.

Post by robleyd »

Do you need to 'recover' any of the documents listed? If not, click Cancel.

You don't mention, but I assume this started occurring after an unexpected shutdown of Windows or AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums
Updating your version of OpenOffice will not have any effect on this situation, as it is due to (usually) an incomplete or hasty shut down of the computer.
The OpenDocument File Format (.odt for Writer files) is a more complicated method of saving the information, and, therefore, takes longer.
If the Start Recovery button doesn't work and/or you get messages stating that one or more of those files can't be recovered, then use the Cancel button the next time.

The problem of updating OpenOffice is a known problem with the update server. Realistically you can forget it as it hasn't worked in months.
If you want to update OpenOffice, go to http://www.openoffice.org/download and download the full installation package for the language you want.... just like you did when you installed 4.1.6
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
DocM

Post by DocM »

Thank you for the responses! The problem didn't happen with a bad shut down or the like to my limited knowledge. It just happens every time I try to open the document, the cause is unknown to me.
It was just a weird thing that started happening. I can still get into the files after clicking the OK button twice, but, just thought I'd ask if there was a fix before something goes "FIZZ" & "wallop" and can't open any file or lose them completely.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win 8.1