[Solved] Unable to save documents on Windows 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Feddie

[Solved] Unable to save documents on Windows 10

Post by Feddie »

Hello all,

Where I have used OpenOffice (mainly writer) for years without any major problems, the last few months I am no longer able to save files. I have tried reinstalling several times, to no avail. Today I erased all OpenOffice files manually after uninstalling, and installed the 4.1.7 version, the problem persists.

I must first state that when trying to install it would not install in the default place, so I had to manually choose a new location (program files x86).

My actual problem is the following, I can't save anything from writer. I have tried opening a blank file and saving, opening existing files and resaving, both in "save" and "save as". I keep getting an error that says (translating from dutch) "import-export error" when I use "save", I get an error "can't find file" when I use "save as". The errors are the same or existing as or new files.

I used to use writer extensively to continue work at home and this is really both puzzling and infuriating, so I am really hoping you can provide some clarity or assistance.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was : Can't save old or new files
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows
MSI GT70 Dominator Pro
RoryOF

Re: can't save old or new files

Post by RoryOF »

Possibly the Windows Defender problem

See [Tutorial]Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10 for a discussion of Windows Defender - Controlled Folder Access and how to enable AOO and/or LO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Feddie

Re: [SOLVED] can't save old or new files

Post by Feddie »

Well, I had added OpenOffice to the safe program list for Defender, but now after turning off controlled folder access completely, it works. Thanks!!
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows
MSI GT70 Dominator Pro