[Solved] Where does OO 4.1.7 store program updates?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
aragorn5182

[Solved] Where does OO 4.1.7 store program updates?

Post by aragorn5182 »

Just installed Open Office 4.1.7 on HP laptop running Windows 10. Have 8 Gb RAM and 1 Tb HDD. On installation, program install location defaulted to One Drive. I changed it to C:\Program files (x86).

In OO Tools > Options > Online Update, default is also One Drive. Want to change it to go to OO program location on C:\ drive. There are multiple sub-directories under C:\Program files (x86)\OpenOffice4\. I'd guess that the updates likely go to C:\ . . . Open Office 4\program.

Does any one know if this is correct and if not, which sub-directory should I use to define update location in Options? Thanks!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: Where does OO 4.1.7 store program updates?

Post by erbsenzahl »

Inactivate online update. It does not work and is good for nothing, currently. - Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

aragorn5182 wrote:Just installed Open Office 4.1.7 on HP laptop running Windows 10. Have 8 Gb RAM and 1 Tb HDD. On installation, program install location defaulted to One Drive. I changed it to C:\Program files (x86).

In OO Tools > Options > Online Update, default is also One Drive. Want to change it to go to OO program location on C:\ drive. There are multiple sub-directories under C:\Program files (x86)\OpenOffice4\. I'd guess that the updates likely go to C:\ . . . Open Office 4\program.

Does any one know if this is correct and if not, which sub-directory should I use to define update location in Options? Thanks!
It sounds like you're confusing download location, unpacking location and program location. Updates are complete install files which should be downloaded to a download location. On my system, Tools > Options > Online Updates says "Download destination" and doesn't mention program location. After the install file has been downloaded to the download location, it should be run to unpack a set of installation files in the unpacking location. The installation files in the unpacking location then replace the existing program files in the program location. The default download location in Windows is usually set in the Web browser to the "Downloads" folder. Perhaps that has been changed to "One Drive". The default unpacking location is the Desktop of the administrator account used to perform the installation/update. The default program location is Program Files(X86).
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
aragorn5182

Post by aragorn5182 »

Thanks so much for your response. You are correct - I hadn't considered that the Tools > Options > Online Update> One Drive was for the Install file location.

I keep an Installs dir to store install files for each program I use. I'll change the OO online update to my Installs dir.

I'm new to Windows 10 (hate it!), which often doesn't allow me to select when to install updates. It also defaults many things to One Drive, which I won't use. Need to figure out if I can disable One Drive defaults - but that's for another topic another time.

Thanks again for your clarification on this issue!
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
travistee

Re: [Solved] Where does OO 4.1.7 store program updates?

Post by travistee »

I had the same question.
When it was ready to install it was going to install in the desktop directory.
Should I leave it like that and it will find the X86 directory that 4.1.5 is in or do I have to tell it the 4.1.5 X86 directory?
openoffice 4.1.5
AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25
floris v
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Where does OO 4.1.7 store program updates?

Post by floris v »

The install program will unpack the installation files to a folder on the desktop (or another location of your choice), and then install the real thing in the Program Files folder.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum