Old ODG files lost after fresh install of OO

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ceejay

Old ODG files lost after fresh install of OO

Post by ceejay »

Hi community,

I'm hoping there is a simple solution to my problem.

I had a bunch of older Draw files (ODG) on my old laptop's SSD, version created with unknown now but approx. 2 years old. (win7)

I'm running a new laptop now and needed these files for reference and editing. I put the the old laptops drive in a caddy and plugged into the new laptop, there the files were and it was at this stage I realised I needed to install OO on the new lappy to read/edit them.

I duly installed the latest version of OO, maybe foolishly with the caddy/drive still plugged in. After installation, during which I did note a few activity flashes from the caddy, all of the Draw ODG files had disappeared!
I have tried searching for .ODG and the files names but nothing is coming up except for some PDF copies I made on the same old drive.

Are these now gone or can I recover them somehow? It will be a major PITA if I have to recreate these from scratch!
oPENoFFICE 4.1.7 on Win 10.
RoryOF

Re: Old ODG files lost after fresh install of OO

Post by RoryOF »

Try removing the caddy, using the correct removal procedure, reboot computer, reinsert caddy, then outside of OO use file manager to examine the caddy to see if the files are there.

Is it possible you have mistakenly installed OO to the Caddy?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Thanks for the reply.

I had the same thoughts and checked both those points but nothing doing. The OO install is on C where it belongs and I still cannot find my Draw files using file manager.

It does seem strange the install consulted the caddy during install, not the beginning or end, definitely "during" and only bfiefly.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The install should not touch existing OpenOffice files; most probably the operating system did the touch.

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it examine the caddy for deleted files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I've tried Recuva as suggested and the files in question were not found :cry:

Nothing has been written to the caddy drive since originally finding the files so no overwriting going on.